Lifting an '03 Tacoma 4x4

I want to lift my '03 Tacoma 4x4 but do not know what kit to purchase.

Can someone recommend the best kit on the market?

Thanks...Dan

Reply to
Dan
3" exceeds the max recommended lift for the front end (2"), so you need to go with a 4-6" kit that includes a drop-down adapter for the front diff. Alternatively, stay with 2", for which you only need a set of specially machined front shocks, such as what is available from Downey Toyota.

The rear can take a number of different approaches, such as new spring packs and/or lifting blocks. Using the stock springs is not recommended. A set of springs from a pre-Tacoma should give you about 2", then add a block as desired.

Reply to
Dan G

For what it's worth, Donahoe Racing sells an excellent suspension lift system for the Tacoma. It uses adjustable coilovers up front, for up to

3" of lift, and complementary Deaver leaf springs in the back. Not only does it lift the vehicle, but it is a huge improvement over the factory suspension (better than the TRD package), both on and off road. But it will set you back about $950 for the front, $500+ for the leaf springs, and $200-400 for the rear shock absorbers. But why go cheap when it comes to ride quality and off-road performance?

By the way, I think about 2.5" of lift is about as far as you can take it without messing up your CV angle, in which case you need to get a drop down bracket-type lift kit like Fabtech or Pro Comp.

Reply to
desert_taco

on my 4cyl 4x 2002 i did a set of EMU 881's with hd bils up front which is good for about 2.5" once they settle. the rear i chose to go with a custom pack from AOR, also good for about 2.5-3", along with their reverse u-bolt kit and 5150 bils.

you can lift the front more than 3" without going crazy with spindle parts or axle drops, but you'll need to change out the hubs to manual ones.

Reply to
Kryptoknight