Limited Slip / Locking Differential Redux

Technically, the locker is UNLOCKING with the shutter and lurch to the side. Technically.

This is pure bullshit. Sorry.

I have lockers on both axles of my 4X4, and the ONLY issue I have when the

4WD is engaged is that I can not make a 3 point turn cleanly, I need to make it a 5 point sometimes.

Letting Aunt Clara drive is a good point though. I've had people in the convertible in the next lane duck and cover when my locker unloads. It can be quite dramatic. It is easily controllable, but it takes experience.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I am coming aroun d to your way of thinking on this. In the past week I have read a large number of web pages on the issue of lockers, posi- traction LSD, spools (god help anyone with those!), automatic lockers, manual lockers.... last night I even dreamed my legs were being fitted out with an air locker.

Powertrax does not make a No-Slip that will fit in my pickup: that was confirmed for me by a dealer a few minutes ago (via email).

It seems to me that for what I wish to accomplish with my pickup, the TrueTrac limited slip will be the best option.

One concern I have is that I read on a web site the warning "After market parts will not fit vehicles with factory 4.86-4.89 gears and ABS sensor on case" for my pickup and I do not know if that means TrueTrac will not fit in my differential carrier / case: I've no idea what "4.86-4.89 gears" means nor do I know if my pickup has that. It

*DOES* have the ABS sensor.
Reply to
Desertphile

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query.

Some of the reviews I have read about the Powertrax No-Slip sounds very good when it comes to pavement behavior. I have confirmed that there is no No-Slip available for my pickup, but I have already decided not to go that route.

... and tiny penis, I suspect....

"Finally! A real man at last!"

Good grief. Why would someone want such a thing?! If someone feels the need for a locker, surely he or she expects to drive on dirt more than pavement. One would think the last thing a person would want to do is trash their automobile and/or be a hazard to other drivers.

Well now you're frightening me. :-) I've read reviews of the E-Z Locker being installed forward, and no mention was made of going over cliffs..... some did mention the need for power steering and caution being necessary.

At the moment I am considering the TrueTrac as the best option. I like the helix gears and lack of maitainance (except new oil now and then).

I am kind of ashamed about my never having replaced the differential oil in over 14 years, nor have I ever replaced the rear break shoes! NEVER. Sheeeish. I do not even know where the fuel filter is--- it has never been replaced. Nor has the manual transmission gear box oil been replaced.

Now you are talking serious money. My pickup has over 300,000 miles on it, almost all of which come from the Mojave Desert, Big Basin Desert, Death Valley, and a dozen arid and desolate American Indian reservations: it has had a hard 14 years of life. Pouring a large chunk of money into it for an air locker may not be cost-effective.

Reply to
Desertphile

Check out this link:

explains how the Torsen Gleason differential works. The TrueTracworks the same as the Torsen Gleason. The explanation is good enoughthat understanding the explanation will also lead to understanding whythis type of diff is probably the best for your situation.ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Well, first off I emphatically thank everyone who replied to my query. Thank you very much indeed! It has been a good learning experience, and I have spent many hours entranced over realing on the 'net All Things Differential.

I have decided on the TrueTrac Limited Slip conversion kit, as it sounds like the best option for my requirements (other folk's needs will no doubt differ). I have therefore sent away for one, for $371 including the shipping cost (shudder!). For so old a pickup (14 years,

300,000 miles) I did not wish to expend more than that, as I would reach the point of diminishing returns. More important, perhaps, is that there is a TrueTrac made that fits my pickup--- some other manufacturers of other devices do not build for my pickup.

Since there appears to be some interest in the subject, not just in Usenet but also on WWW forums, I think I will document the installation and take photographs of the installation as it occurs, then place it all on my web site. It could be the end of March before I get into town and pickup the TrueTrac (at my mail drop); I also need to buy a gasket for the Third Member, gasket sealant, differential oil, and also break shoes and break pads while I am at it.

After the install, maybe I'll drive the pickup more than 8 or 9 days out of the year: I hear that Monday nights is kareoke night at The Cowgirl in Santa Fe...... Yeee haw!

Reply to
Desertphile

Thank you for the URL: I went and read the web page, after I dissabled the background image and changed the font color from while-on-black to black-on-white (it was nearly unreadable otherwise). Looking at the Torsen diagram, it looks like the TrueTrac is a patent-licensed version. I hope Mister Gleason gets well-paid for the invention.

Half an hour ago I sent away for a TrueTrac. At the moment I am dreading the install, but I figure if I buy groceries and get back to the ranch before installing the TrueTrac, I will have 5 or 6 weeks to do the install before I run out of food and have to drive the pickup again: I ought to be able to install it with that much time. :-)

I am worried about finding a Third Member gasket. I'll see if tyhe "Auto Zone" in town has one.

Reply to
Desertphile

I received the TrueTrac today---- there is a tiny, not very well detailed, installation manual with it. The part number printed on the TrueTrac is 913A610 but the documentation says I need 913A321, yet there is a web page that claims the former number replaces the latter number..... so maybe it will fit. Gods only knows. The "manual" is vague regarding just what the heck one is to do: what does it replace? What of tyhe old differential remains?

As far as I can tell, the TrueTrac is bolted to the ring gear. I suppose I will not know until I open the differential third member and look at the carrier--- and I ain't got any gear oil at the moment.

Reply to
Desertphile