Lock-Up Diff.

I recently purchased a 2001 Tacoma TRD with 40K miles and I can't seem to get the diff. lock indicator light on the dash to tell me that the diff. is locked. The diff. lock indicator light just blinks when I shift into the L4 position and press the diff. lock button. The Toyota repair manual says that this means the diff. lock gears aren't meshed and to rotate the tires to mesh the gear. Well, this doesn't appear to work because the light continues to blink. Any ideas?

Reply to
JC

Just turn left-right a few times and do not exceed 5mph when trying to engage it.

If you try to engage it on a loose surface, it's also better.

If it still does not engage, it has been found that the actuator sometimes does get stuck. If you still have warranty, they'll pop your third open and clear up the problem quickly, whether it be electrical (actuator) or mechanical (locker itself).

-Rob

Reply to
Rob Pilgrim