Long Block Installation

I have a 91' Toyota 4RUNNER V6 4x4. (Manuel Transmission) I'm replacing the engine in it. I have decided to buy a longblock for it. I wanted to see if anybody has advice on removing the engine and installation. Can I disconnect the engine from the transmission? or do I have to pull both out together? Has anybody built the whole engine including the intake system, Fuel Rails, etc. and then just dropped it in?

Any suggestions that would make this job go easier would be appreciated. Rick

Reply to
RAW

Pull the engine & trans together! Have as much of the engine assembled as possible BEFORE you put it back in, attach the trans, then drop it all in with the help of a couple of friends. This may seem harder, but it is MUCH easier than dropping the engine in and trying to get it to mate with the trans inside the truck.

Reply to
MrFixit469

I really don't think it will come out in one piece unless you have a very fancy hoist. That transmission with the transfer case is near 4" long. I'd just leave it underneath but totally disconnected. You will need a transmission jack to raise it back up. And some real long socket extensions to pull the top bolts out.

Reply to
Wolfgang