Looking at buying mid 90's pickup

Hi, I'm looking at a 1994 Toyota 4x4 extended cab 4cyl pickup. It has low miliage and seems in real nice shape (private party). My question is... are they reliable trucks? Should I be looking at a different year? I want/need a good reliable vehicle. Thanks, Rick

Reply to
Rick

I don't know about that *particular* model but when I was shopping for my truck last year I couldn't hardly find a single person who'd say anything bad about Toyota trucks.

You might look here:

Which is a site where ordinary people post their opinions about, well, everything.

In fact, they have three reviews on that very model. Check it out:

You might also check the Consumer Reports book if it has this model in it. They rate for reliability and several other things.

Dreamer

Rick you didn't mention if it was an auto or not. You might find the 4cyl a bit down on power for that combination. The 6cyl is not much better, the V6/5sp combination is the way to go if you can find one.

Gary W.

Reply to
Gjlwilliams

I was actually looking for a 5 speed. In my "research" so far, I found most people were recommending the 4cyl just becuase of the great reliablity of the 22re.

I would prefer the 6cyl I think, but would want to make sure that there aren't any 'issues" with that engine.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

My brother-in-law has that exact model and year. I know it has at least 130K miles and has been trouble-free so far (it's a Toyota after all...).

Yes they are. It has survived 1 Vermont winter and 5 Utah winters (so far) if that says anything. He's had it since 1997.

He isn't looking to unload it for a while yet, but hopefully when he does he stays in the Toyota family and gets a Tundra 4WD Double Cab. Those are sweeeeeet!

Reply to
TundraOwner2002

Rick, the only major issue with the V6's from that era is the head gasket. Not sure what the percentage of engines needed replacements. Like most forms you only hear of failures here, not the ones that had no problems. Most likely if the head gasket needed replacing it would have been done by now on a 10 year old truck.

Gary W.

Reply to
Gjlwilliams