Looking for '90 4Runner Wheels

Hello,

I've posted about this a while back and have since been checking out the local junkyards and newspaper ads for some used rims, but haven't found any yet. It seems that a couple of my wheels (a factory steel and a fancy steel) are leaking due to the deterioration of the metal itself. That's what I've been told each time that I brought the vehicle to Town Fair Tire for repair.

Apparently, three types of wheels, plain factory steel, a fancier steel design, and alloy wheels, were available at one time. Door sticker shows P225/75R15 with a 15 X 7JJ rim. These are 6 lug rims. By the way, for some reason or another, the vehicle currently has P235/75R15 tires on it.

The local Toyota dealer laughed at first when I asked about availability and pricing for rims for such an old vehicle, but then composed himself enough to tell me that they would be special order and would cost somewhere between $130 - $145 each. At least the guy at Town Fair Tire didn't laugh, but the outcome was similar in that they would be special order and cost about as much.

What I would like to find out is if anyone knows of any other make (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.) wheels that will fit this vehicle. For example, I've got an old '83 Dodge van that has the same size tires (P235/75R15), but I'm not certain if the wheels will fit. Yes, I know that I could try them, which is on my to do list, but I thought that perhaps someone else might know for sure what other make wheel might be a perfect fit.

Aside from that, does anyone have any links to where I might purchase these online, but at a lower cost? The vehicle runs fine, but looks like hell, and spending $500 plus on rims alone seems a bit much. I'd much rather put some of that money towards some decent tires.

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply to the group.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

It's just as easy and alot cheaper to get aftermarket wheels. My 87'

4Runner is black and what I decided on was the black Soft 8 Cragar wheels from SummitRacing.com for $37 each. I've kept my eye on Ebay for months and there's been a few (stock wheels) listed but not many. A large majority of Toyota truck wheels will fit your truck. You just need 15x7 wheels with a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. Not sure what the backspacing is on stock wheels. Anyone? Keep your eye on Ebay or check out SummitRacing.com Some of the prices I've seen for wheels are outrageous. Yesterday at WalMart (of all places) I saw a 93' Thunderbird with broken out tail lights & dented all over. But it had bright shiny wheels that must've cost at least $1200 for the set. If I had the extra money I'd sure put it into something mechanical for my truck and not the wheels. But I guess my priorities are different . Amelia
Reply to
Amelia

IMHO: Get some cheap stock wheels! Steel, shiny Chrome, OR Aluminum Alloy! Locally! They are NOT rare. They are very high quality (hence the high price, New)! They fit correctly! It's the right thing to do!

("Roundn her, we gotta des thangs cald pickenpulls...") Pick-n-Pull gets something like $7 for steel, $12 for chrome, and $20 for aluminum, per wheel. And, they HAVE them! And, if you like the tire, that's $12.95, more. And, yea, the caps and lugnuts are more. THINK "craigslist", NOT "ebay"!! Believe me, there are LOTS of these wheels!

Chevy wheels MAY bolt on, but usually have the incorrect offset.

Unless there are NO alternatives, SHIPPING is a deal-killer for online deals!

LT235/75R15 and 30x9.50R15LT are good tire sizes... btw: "LT" ace "P"-type tires...

be frugal!

Reply to
Jeff