loosing coolant in toyota 4runner

i have a 4runner 01, < 60K miles. I had over heating problem and i was forced to change radiator, hoses . after a month, it over heated again. they put the coolant again (since it was not there), after a month it happend again and they again put the coolant again. Then i went to the dealer, and those guys changed "engine core plugs". after 15 days i noticed again and coolant was not there in the RESERVE, so i went back to them and they again changed "engine core plugs". This time they told me if this happens again , they will have to change the whole engine. Somebody please help me out, i know nothing about automobiles other then driving.Where is collant going? Dont know whom to believe other then blog friends. Give your thoughts as much as you can. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
malavspandya

If you are sure there is none leaking, then it might be your head gasket. Take the oil filler cap off and see if there is any whiteish sludge on it. Check the dipstick too. If there is anything on either of those that is definitely not oil, then coolant is somehow getting into your oil, most likely through a bad head gasket.

If the engine oil looks clear and sludge free, check around the engine to see if its leaking anywhere, maybe when it's running. I'm sure they already did that at the dealer, but???

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
lolo

Put some tracer in the coolant, the leak will show up with a black light. At 60K miles it could be the water pump seal.

Reply to
Joseph Myers

Have you notice hard starting?

Check for oil in the coolant.

Check for coolant in the oil

Check for water vapor coming out the tail pipe

Is the truck hard to start, but runs fine after it heats up?

Pull the plugs and look for whitish residue on on or more of them.

Any of the above indicates a warper or cracked head due to overheating.

YOu may also have a leak >i have a 4runner 01, < 60K miles. I had over heating problem and i was

Reply to
M. Cantera