Losing water: blown head gasket?

Background: 1990 4x4, 147k miles on a 22RE engine. Until last week, I had a radiator with a corroded top. I let it go too long, and sitting in traffic one day when the temp guage went all the way right. I pulled over, added water, and replaced the radiator the next day.

My problem now is that I am still losing water (about a quart or two every 100 miles), although nothing is hitting the ground. I thought "blown head gasket, or warped head" due to my negligence in letting the darn thing overheat.

There appears to be a small amount of oil getting into the cooling system, and sticking my nose in the radiator filler hole reveals the smell of exhaust fumes. Here's where I'm stumped: there appears to be NO water in the oil (my timing chain once at a hole in its cover, so I know all about oil in the water -- looks like chocolate milk). Additionally, the spark plugs all look good, and the compression for the cylinders are: 170, 162, 168 and 168.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I am planning on replacing the gasket myself in a few days, but don't want to waste my time if the problem lies elsewhere.

Final questions: assuming it's the head and/or head gasket -- how much for a new head? Also, while I have the top end off, should I be replacing or cleaning anything else?

Sorry for the long ramble. Any advice would be appreciated. I'll be sure to post my findings after I do the work.

Reply to
Mike

I had the exact same symptoms, head was warped in the #1/#2 area, about 0.007" letting exhaust and coolant passages mix. Under load, exhaust would pressurize the cooling system, causing it to overflow the bottle and it would get low, then overheat. Never had any oil/water mixing.

Reply to
Roger Brown

I would have the head rebuilt while it's off.

Bard

Reply to
Bard

"Bard" wrote in news:t3_4b.249027$cF.79421@rwcrnsc53:

Have had 2 '86 Toyotas do the same thing. The gasket doesn't necessarily fail in the cylinder, although, one did. Spark plug was "Steam" cleaned. The head will definitely need replacing/repair. Make sure the head is milled down properly by professionals. Don't go to anyone like Pep Boys and such. Good Gasket mounting is a must!

Sorry. Just giving fair warning so you don't end up redoing twice like I did.

Reply to
dogeye