Low Tire Pressure Warning

Wafning light lit on my 2005 tundra. All tires were fine (>30#). I raised them all to 35# and the light is still lit. I thought maybe an overnight temperature drop was the cause but after raising pressure the light still did nto clear. Any ideas? Can I reset it?

Reply to
William Michael Greene

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:43:51 -0500, William Michael Greene tossed this out for all to see:

there is a reset procedure in the manual. did you also check your spare?

Reply to
Janitor Boy Jr

Will check the spare and the manual. Never used the spare and did not know it was monitored. Thanks for the advice, will report back.

Reply to
William Michael Greene

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 20:18:18 -0500, William Michael Greene tossed this out for all to see:

I apologize for the canned response of RTFM. mine is packed away somewhere so I couldn't quote the actual procedure for you. I've seen many posts here and in Toyota forums regarding checking the spare. I covered my dash indicator with a tiny piece of black tape... 8-)

Reply to
Janitor Boy Jr

I did look at the manual before posting but did not see a reset procedre so I will check again. No need to apologize, I understand a lot of people will post without even researching. Is you indicator light on also and wont reset?

Reply to
William Michael Greene

Check your owners manual. I changed tire pressures on 2006 Tacoma and it required a reset. Button was at bottom of dash under steering column.

Reply to
R.E.Pasco

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 04:13:31 -0500, William Michael Greene tossed this out for all to see:

when I traded my `03 for my `06, I had them swap wheels and tires. I had just put the new Revos on the `03 and wanted to keep them. plus I liked the 17 inch wheels. the dealer didn't swap the valve stems which are the pressure sensing units. the salesman said it didn't matter anyway, as the system works by wheel/tire revolutions, not actual tire pressure(yea right). no big deal to me anyway, I don't need a light to tell me to check my tire pressures. just for the heck of it, I tried the reset procedure, which is something to do with the little button under the steering column at the bottom of the dash. it cleared the light only for a few seconds. knowing that it would never stay out, and hearing outrageous prices for the valve stem sensors, I taped over the light. can't even see the tape unles you shine a bright flashlight directly on the spot.

Reply to
Janitor Boy Jr

After I added air to my spare, the warning light went out by itself. Strange, but true.

Reply to
Phisherman

Sorry for hijacking this topic but it is related. I just went through the same thing on my '05 Tundra. The first cold snap and the indicator light comes on. I check all the mounted tires and they were within 1lb of each other. When I lowered the spare I saw that it was about 4 lbs under pressure compared to the others. I noticed a lot of mud around the seam where the rim meets the tire and knocked it all off. Threw the spare in the bed of the truck and took off for the nearest gas station with 'free' air. on the way I noticed that the indicator light had gone out. Weird! Here is my slightly off topic question: I would presume that the pressure detectors/radio transmitters in the wheels have some type of battery...if so how do you go about replacing them?

TIA Wormsign

Reply to
WormSign

From

"Typical RF TPM systems employ four or five battery powered transmitter-sensors, one RF receiver either stand-alone or integrated in other vehicle electronics, and some other satellite hardware which can absolve to the function of identifying the tire position involved in the inflation anomaly. Each tire pressure sensor can periodically trigger a transmission of pressure status, or be polled continuously on demand. The most technologically challenging part of the system is the conservation of battery power used by the RF transmitter-sensor. Most RF based TPM sensors on the market today use a battery, a silicon based pressure sensor and an RF oscillator either SAW- or PLL-based.

"Automakers require a battery lifespan of between seven and ten years, so TPMS system designers use power saving techniques to extend the battery life. The heart of the sensor is a silicon ASIC (Application Specific Circuit) chip which can manage critical power saving algorithms and other functions of the sensor. However there remains the fundamental problem that all batteries eventually become exhausted and this represents safety and replacement cost issues for the consumer."

Sounds like there will be a need for new sensors in 7 to 10 years....

See also:

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Seems to me that this qualifies as disabling the system and is a federal offense on the dealer's part, per warning on Walmart's display.

Reply to
Mike Dobony