maintenance

2003 Tacoma maintenance says repack wheel bearings every 30k miles or 24 months. What do you all think about this? Sounds too frequent to me. Soon I will have 2 years on her and now I have 12,100 miles. I tow nothing and I load the bed about 3 times a year and I think the heaviest thing was 200 lbs. I plan to own this truck until I die (hopefully a long time)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Mars

I just had the wheel bearings on my 85 repacked after 30,000 miles which was more than 3 years, the mechanic said "it needed it". 30,000 is not too frequent!

Reply to
Tacoma Dude

Maybe is should be 30,000 with no time limit. I think that doing it at the 2 year mark regardless of mileage may be a waste of time. I will have less then 15,000 miles when I reach 2 years.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Mars

repacking depends a lot on where you drive it. If you do lots of off-road in deep water, then you need to re-grease all drive train parts as soon as you get home and wheel bearings should be every fall after hunting season and your done with your "boat"-truck..

Reply to
Guylaine J. Parisien

I tow nothing, hall very little and am 100% city-highway. So, I think that it should be able to go well beyond 30k, but maybe not. And doing it after 2 years regardless of mileage is just ridiculous.

Reply to
Paul Mars

my personal truck maintenance log sheet calls for a bearing repack every 80,000 miles, regardless of number of years (typically every 5 years). Never had any problems. If the only big danger of not doing it is having a noisy bearing that needs to be replaced, seems that makes up for the big pain in the rear of having to do it every 2 years.

Paul

Reply to
Krystonia5

If you don't go off road w/it then they should be fine. After repacking several times at 30K miles and realizing it was a waste of time, I only repack them when I'm replacing the brakes as you should pull the rotors off to replace/refinish them anyway. Slik

Reply to
slikrikd

when did they come out with any recommendation to repack wheel bearings? My 1998 has non-serviceable bearings.

Reply to
Fuller Wrath

I don't know. you are lucky, I think.

My factory schedule says to lubricate them every 2 years or 30k miles. Just for clarification I asked and was told that "lubricate " does mean to clean and re-pack.

Paul Mars