Maintenance Required Light on Tacoma

I just performed the first oil change on my 2006 Toyota Tacoma. To my surprise, just before I had time to change the oil, the "maintenance required" light appeared on the instrument display. At the same time the odometer turned to 5000 miles. I like this idea but NOW how do I get rid of or reset this feature? If I am told that I must have the Toyota dealership take care of this I'm not going to be happy!

Jim Pettway

Reply to
Jim Pettway

It's somewhere around page 187 in my manual, but I've got a different year truck. It was listed under "Maintenance Required Light" in the index, and the page that shows all the panel indicators points you to the correct section for each indicator.

You essentially hold the trip reset in while starting the truck. I don't remember the exact details, but Google may if the manual isn't handy. I think you had to put the odo in "total mileage" display, turn it off, and turn it back on while turning on the key. I only change my oil twice a year, so I always have to check.

You shouldn't have to leave home to shut it off. The indicator comes on flashing 500 miles before each 5000 mile interval, eventually working towards ON. It's been flashing at you when you started the truck for a while.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Yea, my father has a Tacoma around the same year, and I know that when his turned over to the specified mileage for the first maintenance, the "maintenance required" light turned. Anyways, he took it in to Toyota and they turned it off, but I believe they told him that you can turn it off by yourself. I would refer to the manual like the previous post mentioned. Good luck!

Reply to
Drewsah

Procedures are in your Owner's Manual. I did my '06 Tacoma without any problems. It tells you to turn on ignition and which odometer reading to display. Turn off ignition. Press & hold reset button (shaft) while turning on the ignition again. A series of underlines track across the display and the info is reset for about 4700 miles. Specifics are in the book.

Reply to
R.E.Pasco