Manual Transmission and Differential Oil

The previous owner of my 82 pickup did not maintain it at all. I am trying to fix all that he has trashed, so far I have replaced most of the ignition, changed the oil (W/ filter), replaced the air filter, and flushed the coolant. Now I want to change the oil in the manual tranny and differential. My question is, can (and should) i use a synthetic gear lube in this application? What type/grade/etc.? How would I add it after i drained it? Thanks in advance. Chas

Reply to
Chas

Recommend you stick with EXACTLY what Toyota recommends. Oil that's too light or too heavy will cause problems. That's prolly going to be 75-90 in both gearboxes and 80-90 in the diffs.

Reply to
Dan G

Okay, I read in the manual toyota reccomends either 80W-90 or 75W- something for the transmission and 80W-90 for the differential. Can i run synthetic? What are the (dis)advantages to running synthetics? Thanks, Chas

Reply to
Chas

Really doesn't make any difference, use whever's cheapest. Stick with 75w-90 in the gearboxes for easier shifting.

Reply to
Dan G

When I switched to synthetic gear lube (same weight as stock) in my transmission, my wintertime shifting became a lot easier. Larry

Reply to
LarryD

Okay, so go with 75W-90 in the gearbox and 80W-90 in the differential. Can I change to synthetic without any problems?

Reply to
Chas

I have been happy with Redline synthetic products. They are available at Summit racing. Redline has a website that will help you decide what to use, or will mail you product info. Don't know about your 82, but most of my trannys allowed me to pour the lube in when I removed the shifter. Good luck. Ed

Reply to
ed_herman

Chas, there is no problem of going to synthetic, once you have gone to synth you have to always use the synthetic in the future.

Reply to
pacaguy