MDT Tech help Is my Limited Slip diff is failing ?

Hello, I have a 2002 SR5 access cab 4wd. Today I parked the right side of my truck in a snow pile. As the right rear tire got up into the snow I would spin.

I figured the Limited slip differential would eventualy lock and the other wheel on asphalt would engage. It never did.

So am I dealing with a failing Limited Slip differential at only 16,000 miles ? This would be quite strange considering I've been on dirt roads, maybe twice.

Shouldn't the thing lock up after some number of rotations, otherwise what is the point of buying the option ?

Reply to
news.comcast.giganews.com

Most limited slip diffs can only handle a certain difference in traction between the two wheels. If the difference is too high (like one wheel on dry pavement and one on snow/ice) there is not enough traction on the slipping wheel to get the diff to lock up hard enough to get you moving. One thing you can try to help is to ease the parking brake on to load up the slipping wheel and "fool" the limited slip into thinking the traction is higher than it actually is. A limited slip diff s called "limited" for a reason, its not a 100% locking differential:

Roger Brown

This is not unusual behavior. Sometimes you need a little resistance to get the limited slip to engage. Lightly applying the parking brake will often do the trick. Here is a link to a Ford forum that discusses this very problem -

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Well, it can slip, it has clutches. Accel easily after letting it stop spinning. When there is a big difference from side ot side, it can slip, so accel easily.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Basicaly I started the activity with little throttle. I could let it slip simpily by releasing the break. So I was not on the throttle and I allowed slow numerous rotations of the loose wheel.

This happened to me again today. Steep driveway. A narrow strip of ice was left over, (due to my wheel tracks) As I approached the garage everything was spinning at the same speed, then boom one of the rear wheels hit that Ice, I spun out and never regained traction.

I had to back up and make a run for the garage and let momentum carry me in.

So if this is how it's supposed to work then why did I pay for the option. It doesn't help me when I need it and assists me breaking loose both rear wheels under thrust while turning in an intersection.

So why is this all bad and no good, everything I am seeing is consistent with an open diferential open.

If I do a test where a jack >

Reply to
news.comcast.giganews.com

If it is a clutch-type LSD, are you sure you have the proper LSD additives in the differential gear oil? And are you sure you have a limited slip in the first place (check the axle code in the model info tag to be sure). Have you tried the brake biasing technique, for a rear LSD, use the parking brake, gradually apply it as you bring up the engine power slowly and see if you can load up the LSD enough to get some torque to the wheel that has traction. Its quite effective when you can master the technique, I was able to lock up my TrueTrac LSD even with one tire in the air.

Reply to
Roger Brown

IMO, nothing you read here will relieve your snit about this. So why not take it into the dealer, file a warranty claim, and then see what falls out?

-paul

Reply to
Paul Cassel

Thank you, Paul. See you on the radio Saturday.

Bearman

Reply to
bearman

Make sure it has it forst, then if it does, take it in, you still under

60K miles?
Reply to
MDT Tech®

speed, then

carry me in.

consistent

other wheel

Limited slip differentials are very limited in their usefulness. I would not pay a dime extra for one. I have had them on a variety of vehicles and plant. Either they are too stiff and cause tyre wear when turning or they are so subtle in operation that they might as well be open diffs. Frankly, even a full locking diff is limited in usefulness in any light four wheel drive vehicle. Now if you were ploughing heavy clay land in-furrow after a rain shower, it would be worth it.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Thanks, I'm not sure how it's supposed to opperate. Seems as though I shouldn't get stuck in my driveway. Even if it doesn't have Limited Slip. When I reference my receipt of purchace and the sticker with matching VIN numbers. One of the options is LD for limited slip. It has the sticker specifying LSD only on the differential.

If it doesnt have limited slip then an installation will have to happen to match up my reciept and sticker.

Reply to
Kip

Kip, if its on the sticker, its there. Have them check it out.

Reply to
MDT Tech®