Metal Key Number Plate

Hey guys, I've got a question for the brain trust...

I just bought a 2007 Tacoma Prerunner 2x4. It did not come with the little metal Key Number Tag or whatever it is. I have a black (master) key and a gray regular key, each with a remote.

Question is, is it possible to replace this metal key number tag? Is it worth it? Is it necessary to make a spare key.

Also, is it possible to get a cheap key made that will only unlock the doors but not start the car? I might like to do this so I can have a hide-a-key in case I ever lock the keys in the car.

Thanks!

Casey

Reply to
Casey

My truck came with (2) black keys, with remotes, and one gray key without a remote.

I don't remember a key number tag, but I'll look again.

Actually, yes. All you have to do is copy a key normally. The keys included with the truck include a "chip" that is necessary to flow fuel. A key that's been cut, but not programmed, will crank the engine without starting it. Don't ask me how I know this, let's just say I lost a remote for a 4 day old truck. 8^(

As I remember, the gray key will not start the truck.

A key that will start the truck needs to be cut AND programmed into the ECU. Programming a key requires the dealer to connect to the OBD system. Remotes can be programmed without the dealer's "help", but following sequences of actions with the doors, pedals, and ignition switch.

If you always lock the doors with the remote...

Reply to
Valued Corporate #120,345 Empl

Mine came with 2 black head keys , 2 remotes and 1 grey head key and NO TAG. I just bought mine a few weeks ago

Reply to
Charles H.

Thanks for the info, guy. I will get a spare cut just to unlock the doors if necessary. My gray key will start the truck and do all other operations. The manual says the master (black) key is needed to program other keys. I got the impression that the gray key does everything but is not suitable for making programmed copies. Maybe I'll take it to the dealership and just ask around.

Casey

Reply to
Casey

Word of warning: Get a spare Black Master Key made, and stick it in a fire safe at home or a bank safe deposit box - literally. Or get Valet Keys made for everyday use and stash the Master Key you have.

Depending on the car model, getting a new Master Key made and the car reprogrammed to accept it can run you over $1000. Some cars they have to remove the security computer from the car and reset the memory on the bench - neither cheap or fast.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

On my '05 Tacoma, the new master was ~ $85, including programming.

As I remember, it was $25-30 for the key and 1/2 hour of shop labor to program it into the truck.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Did you have a master key on hand when they made new keys? I'll bet you did, and for that $85 part + labor is about right.

The Tacoma doesn't have the high-security system that some high-end sedans have, where they have to physically reprogram the security computer. The cost can go up a lot to make a new master key for those cars if you do not have an existing programmed master key on hand - you can't add keys without the 'security code' in a master key.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Yes, because there are two that come with the truck.

OK... We are talking about a Tacoma, right?

As I saw in the Toyota service docs on techinfo, the key isn't taught anything, the truck is taught to recognize each key via the service port.

It's a similar process with door remotes, except you can do remotes without the dealer's OBD computer. The 05+ Tacoma (and I believe the

04+ 4Runner) can "know" four remotes and four keys.

If the SECOND master is lost, I'm sure the Kilobuck is easily attainable!