Minor Shift Problem

My '85 SR5 w/5 speed (169,992 mi) shifts perfectly when it's cold. After it warms up it grinds when shifting into first or reverse at a dead stop. I changed the gear oil from whatever was in there to Redline MT-90 but it didn't help. Anyone got any ideas what is going wrong? My neighbor says that it's probably the syncro's going bad. If this is the case, what's it gonna take to cure this problem? Would bad syncro's take a complete rebuild to fix this? Jerry

PS If you'd prefer to answer this via e:mail just take one of the zeros out of my return address. Thanks. jj

Reply to
Jerry

A friend had a similar problem. Remove the gear shift from the transmission, and look down in the hole for a plastic bushing. Chances are it is just about gone, and broken into many pieces. He bought a new bushing and was back in business.

Reply to
offen rong

sounds like a weak pressure plate or air in the clutch line. just a semi-educated guess, though.

Reply to
Celica Dude

Before repairing gearbox I would check the clutch master & slave cylinders for evidence of leakage and replace seals etc. and the condition of the clutch fork through the boot for cracks etc.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Very good ... I had the same problem.. it was the slave cylinder needed new seals...Low on fuild= hard shift

Reply to
AndThenSome