Need help removing 22RE engine from '93 4x4 Pickup

Vehicle: 1993 4x4 Pickup 22RE 5 speed manual trans 150K miles

The engine has spun a rod bearing and I need to rebuild the engine.

I am trying to work with a Haynes book and had no idea how poor this was until I started this project.

I have all the wiring and hoses disconnected from the engine. I have the front engine mounts unbolted, and all the bolts removed from the bellhousing to the engine. I have the 17mm bolts out, including the one behind the slave cylinder. The smaller, 14mm bolts around the bottom are also out. I even removed the starter. I can't seem to get the belhousing to separate from the engine.

Do I need to take the slave cylinder off the bellhousing?

What am I missing?

TIA. Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Reply to
Freddy Kruger

Either one of the bolts holding the slave cylinder is also attaching the bell housing to the block, or there is a mounting bolt under the slave cylinder. Definitely remove it.

Reply to
MrFixit469

You're leaving the transmission in while just pulling the engine, corrrect?

Reply to
MrFixit469

F.Y.I. the recommended procedure is to remove the engine and transmission together, it will make reassembly MUCH easier if the engine and trans are mated outside of the truck.

Reply to
MrFixit469

Reply to
EasyE

Reply to
EasyE

EasyE,

Thanks for the reply. I did find the bolt that you reference on the right side, looking from the front. It is out already. I still can't get the bellhousing to break from the block.

You say you have pulled your engine separatly several times. Did you separate the bell (clutch) housing from the block to do it? I assume you left the slave cylinder on the bellhousing when you did it, from your note, correct?

I did find a copy of the FSM posted on the net. I printed the pages for engine removal and see that the recommended procedure is to pull everything together. This just looks like too much of a pain.

What am I missing here?

Reply to
Freddy Kruger

Reply to
Freddy Kruger

Reply to
Cregster

Reply to
Freddy Kruger

I'll sell you a whole 22R-E for $250...160K, new timing belt. Paid $300 and another $275 to have it put in a Celica. Runs nice; the Celica is rotting at the frame crossmember in the front. No leaks or smoke. I would rather sell it cheap and see somebody USE it than send it to the junkyard.

Oil pressure is OK too.

Reply to
Hachiroku

On the 85 22RE, here is one bolt on top of the slave cylinder. Think it is a

17mm. You can't see it, just feel for it. Try stepping on the clutch lightly to separate the engine from the trans. Don't do it too hard or you might crack something if there is still a bolt there.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Lee

If you would have pulled the engine and trans together as recommended, you would have had them out by now and would be in a better position to deal with the issue.

Reply to
MrFixit469

I couldn't agree more. Two years ago, I pulled the 22R from my son's 87 PU and I thought I'd never get the engine and trans seperated. I has to do with the dowels that are there to locate the two. I was a royal pain. After I finally got the motor out, I pulled the trans too and reunited them on the hoist before I put the whole affair in as one on the reinstall. The manual recommends pulling them as a unit and now I know why.

Reply to
Lhead