Need help with head Gasket replacment.

I have a Toy 4R V6 4WD 1995... Last winter I did not have enough anti-freeze and the water froze causing the engine to overheat. I was losing water about 2 litter evert 200 to 300 miles. Toyota diagnosed the problem and said its an external leak which means the water most likely is seeping into the exhaust system.

Since replacing the head gasket is a big and a costly job I was wondering are there any other parts that I should replace while the head is removed. Is it worth replacing the head gasket for a vehicle with 100,000+ miles on it. The truck is in a pretty good shape and the cost in Canada to replace the gasket is about $1300 canadian...

Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks Ken

Reply to
Ken Casler

Toyota makes it easy for you, if you buy a head gasket kit it'll come with extras such as valve seals. You definately want to at least redo he valve seals, better yet, rebuild the head. It's also a good chance to replace hard to replace hoses that have to be removed during the hg process.

Is it worth it? Yeah, about 4 years ago I spent $1500 on fixing a headgasket on a 1986 toyota truck with 192,000 on it. Now it has

238,000 and still going strong.
Reply to
Go USA

On 7 Jun 2004 08:17:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ken Casler) went like:

I had the head gasket replaced on my '91 V6 as part of the infamous recall of 1997. It had 117k miles at the time. Since you're going to have the top off anyway replace the timing components and water pump.

Is it worth it? Yes. I put another 102k miles on mine before I sold it a few months ago.

Reply to
feck

Is your head gasket covered by the Toyota recall? If so they should cover it.

Reply to
Bubba