Need Help With Purchasing a 4Runner?

I have owned an 85 toyota pickup for the last two years and I want to sell it and buy a newer 4Runner. I'm thinking probably a 1995 (the last year of its generation)with less than 100k miles on it but i don't know much about them. Does anyone have any reccomendations/reservations about 4Runners.

Thanks, Anders Nottrott

Reply to
Anders

None, go for it!

If your going for teh 3VZE make sure that the head gaskets are tested b4 ya buy, they were prone to blowing in the early days. Other than that good buying.

Reply to
Scotty

Ok thanks, do you know of any major problem specific to the the 1991

4runners? there seem to be a lot of those for sale.

thanks Anders

Reply to
Anders

Depending where you are (rust belt? - check for rust in rear wheel arches and the tail gate door. The 0-95 automatic transmissions are NOT noted for giveing good fuel economy - in ~96 apparently the lockup in the transmission was redesigned and they are more economical. Find a 5 spd manual if you can.

Reply to
Wolfgang

MAybe because theres so many of them out there. Go to your local 4x4 club and ask a few questions no matter how silly you think they are, ussually the club guys will give slightly biased answers depending on what they drive but honest to say the least.

Reply to
Scotty

the rear window may be toast .. look for a gasket in good shape and test it.

There was a headgasket recall on the 6 cyl .. make sure it was fixed or that they still will fix it for you.

otherwise its a great truck. just make sure its big enough for you.

I had a 92 with a 4 cyl/ 5 sp which I owned for 10 years. Never had any major problems with it, just some rust in the tail gate which caused some problems with the power window operation.

I sold it to buy a 98 (again 4 cyl/5sp)...great trucks!!

Reply to
yotaman