Need help with replacement stereo

I decided to put my CD player from my other truck in my '90 4Runner. I couldn't find a harness at Wally-World or AutoZone, so I cut and spliced. The stereo works, but I have no sound to the rear speakers - none at all. Here's the scenario: Toyota factory system (Matsushita AM/FM/Cassette) has the connections for both front and rear speakers. The replacement has only front. I tied them together (LF with LR, RF with RR). I also have an amp that was used for the rear speakers only with the original system. So, for each side, the wires come from the stereo to the speaker wires - the front go to the speaker and the rear go to the amp, then to the rear speakers. I tried diconnection the front speakers and just connecting the rear with the same result - no sound. The amp's fuse is good and it's powered. I also checked the resistance for front versus rear. The front was 43.5-44 ohms and the rear was 48-49 ohms. I attribute the difference to the amp and its connections. I was very careful when making the cuts and splices, marking every wire before they were cut. Anyone have any ideas? Also, what's WHITE w/ GREEN (#5) on the rear speaker harness used for? I can't find it documented anywhere, but it's there.

Reply to
mazdaman85

Thanks for the advice. Yes, the amp has power and is functioning. Tonight I tried disconnecting everything and connected the rear outputs directly to the speakers - bypassing the amp. There was no sound. Your comment that some have anamp in each rear speaker housing leads me to believe that something may have gotten cooked back there. After my no sound trial I connected a known good speaker to the same wires and then along with fronts and it worked fine. So something must have gone wrong with the rear speakers when I connected everything - I guess. They were working earlier yesterday with the factory stereo, so...

Reply to
mazdaman85

BTW, I checked installdr.com from the start when I needed the pinout for the factory harness. Thanks.

Reply to
mazdaman85

Try above - does the amp have power --- some also have an amp in each rear speaker housing.

Reply to
Wolfgang

For Future Reference: Problem turned out to be that the rear speakers need to be switched on by the power antenna leads. A guy named Paul in rec.audio.car gave me the tip. The two antenna wires from the factory wiring need to be connected together and then connected to the power antenna lead from the replacement unit.

Thanks to those who replied via forum and email.

Reply to
mazdaman85