need shock absorber advice

my '88 4runner needs new shocks. i currently have rancho RS5000 shocks that are 10 years old and need replacing. these shocks are absolutely fabulous. but i will no longer be doing any off roading, so i don't feel the $160 investment is warranted. any recommendations on a low-cost brand that works fine for around town driving? and where is the best place to purchase them?

thanks, Paul

Reply to
Krystonia5

Why not take them back for exchange for new ones under their lifetime warrantee -- if you are the original purchaser.

Tenneco Automotive Operating Company Inc. (TA) warrants qualifying Rancho® products against defects and wear-out when used on private passenger cars and light trucks under normal operating conditions for as long as such purchaser owns the vehicle on which they were originally installed and TA continues to make the warranted product(s).

Reply to
Wolfgang

Are you saying that Rancho RS5000 shocks have a lifetime warranty?? That seems strange since they are designed for off roading and it's likely that many users abuse them terribly. I bought them in 1995, was the warranty in place then? Do I need to bring them back to the shop where I bought them??

Reply to
Krystonia5

Usually you need to do that, or at least have the original invoice to exchange them. For an alternative, the KYB Gas Adjust shocks are a good, inexpensive shock. I ran them on my '85 for a few years and liked the ride on-road. They were too soft for rock crawling, but other than that I liked them.

Reply to
Roger Brown

I have a set of KYBs on the front of my '93 4x4. I really like them both on and off road. And I have 2 miles of bad dirt road before hitting bad pavement, then 70 miles of LA freeways to get to work. I am putting KYBs on the rear just as soon as I get around to it.

Reply to
Eddie