Need to Service the Timing Chain of a 2004 Toyota Tundra?

Supposedly, at 90,000 miles Subject should be serviced. What experience have owners had with that? Is it a simple matter to determine if it is needed?

Reply to
W. eWatson

There is no way to know if a timing chain or a timing belt is almost ready to break, except to replace it and then inspect it. I got stuck in Kingman, Arizona, staring at a motel wall for four days, because a timing belt broke.

Reply to
Desertphile

Yep, I had one go out waiting for a light in heavy traffic. Didn't have to wait four days though!

Reply to
W. eWatson

Popped the belt on a Vauxhaul HC half way between Sydney and Halifax a few years back. It was a rare bird, and well past it's "best by" date, but thankfully the dealer in Sydney had one hanging on a nail in the parts department, covered in 1/4 inch of dust - and fortuanately I has the 2 inch long piece with the part number, because they had no clue what the belt fit!!! Likely the only belt to fit it east of Toronto. And thankfully it didn't wait 3 days, because the beast was never sold in the USA, and that's where I was headed. Had it back on the road in 2 hours after locating the belt and having a friend bring it to me on the side of the road.

Reply to
clare

Reply to
someone

were you standing on a corner or however that dumbass song went?

Winslow Arizona? The last time I was standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona it wasn't a girl (my lord) in a flat-bed Ford that slowed down to stare at me: it was a leering trucker with a five- day stubble.

Reply to
Desertphile