new battery, terminal too small

Okay... I got a new battery a while back for my 4Runner, was in a bind and had to get it quickly (borrowed the car's battery to get me to Auto Zone, they took my old one and matched it to a new one) and it seems the negative terminal is a hair too small of a diameter for the cable to clamp snug around. It wasn't a big deal till I took a long drive (bumpy roads in some areas) and then it started cutting out on me when I'd park. I'm not sure if it's keeping good contact while operating either, which I hear isn't such a good idea (driving with the neg disconnected). I just pop the hood and jiggle the cable back into place better, but it's getting annoying as hell.

Aside from replacing the cable (tedious?) or swapping batteries, what can I do to 'fix' this? I've heard use a screw or nail wedged in the gap to take up the slack. Is there anything else I could try? I'm hoping for a safe fix, rather than a redneck patch.

Reply to
Pookerz

Joseph Myers

If it's a top-post battery, they used to sell lead battery post shims at good auto parts stores for just that purpose - they were cut curved into a slight "smile" shape at the factory from sheet lead, so when you wrapped it around the truncated cone of the battery terminal it went on straight.

They might be hard to find after US Industries have gotten gun-shy about using or handling lead... You might have to find some thin sheet lead, make a pattern from paper to get the curve right, and cut some out yourself.

For true desperation, take a few fishing sinker weights, a propane torch, and a really flat steel or cast iron surface like a frying pan, and melt your own chunk of sheet lead. When it cools, you can cut your shim out.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

ah, k got it. Must be lead. I can handle that. :) Thanks guys!

Reply to
Pookerz

Nothing to do with the new battery probally someone has overtightened the terminal new one replaces in minutes old one will eventually ruin battery

Reply to
PCK

If the terminal fits the 'old' battery but now the new one, obviously the new battery terminal is wrong-sized. Take the new battery back to the 'Zone and insist on an accurate replacement battery. If they can't supply one, get yer money back and buy one elsewhere that'll fit. Shimming and screwing around with the battery will only lead to problems in the future. You should not have to mess with a new battery---sellers have an obligation to supply OEM-type parts.

roger

That's what I was thinking- just get the right size or replace the cable (pain in the butt solution.) I just called the store and their reply is 'they're all the same size' (absolute bull, I know.) We'll see what happens when I take it in a pitch a b**ch-fit (if tact doesn't work first.) ;) Purchased it back on 6/30/04 so they might press that issue but I've been busy like mad maintaining two vehicles and keeping up with three kids during that time, to heck with em. Will let ya know what happens.

Reply to
Pookerz

Well, after checking their website for battery size verification, I went down (the part numbers online were slightly different from my receipt and battery- they're re-numbering things) and discussed it with the sales clerk. He went out and had a look, explaining first how Toyota vehicles actually built in Japan have batteries with the terminal posts identical in size for positive and negative, so the OEM battery cables are made that way. The replacement US batteries ALL (according to him) have the negative terminal smaller (apparently we 'merkins are dumb as posts and can't keep positive and negative straight, so we have to make them different sizes to avoid confusion... at least that's my guess.) So, we removed the fat felt pad which they had sold me prior, slid the cable clamp farther down the post where it is wider, snugged it up quite tight, and I was on my way. Thanks for all the input guys.

Reply to
Pookerz

The battery posts are /supposed/ to all be the same standard size, but that doesn't mean they always /are/.

The whole reason for having the shims available is back in the bad old days someone would go crazy with a terminal cleaning brush or scraper, and take too much lead off the post. Or they would have a perfectly good one-piece cast lead terminal and cable that was stretched out.

Melt a sinker and make your own shim stock. Fighting with the store over exchanging (what to them is) a perfectly good battery is going to be a battle, they will insist it's your cable connectors that are stretched.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Dee Don't let 'em pull that 'all same size' crap---beg, borrow or steal dial calipers and take them with you when you go for your 'visit'. I absolutely abhor the arrogance people must suffer at the hands of the chain-store parts houses---they're especially rude to the ladies. As an ex parts manager, that chaps my hide! I hope when you go back the battery appears new---spiff it up as best you can. It's only been

roger

Roger- thanks for being a gentleman. :) The parts store clerk (late 40's, not the kid I spoke with on the phone) was quite nice about it all, never once treated me as if I was dumb about it (probably because I came in with my head on straight) and explained things to my satisfaction. He seemed to want to leave the felt donut on and was having trouble pushing the clamp down on the post far enough with it there. I assured him I'm vigilant with keeping my engine clean (although, it's a lil dusty now, but much cleaner than most engines I've seen) and there was no need to have the felt on there. I hadn't thought to push the clamp lower on the post because I was a little timid about getting myself zapped and just wanted it over with. All's solved and fine now.

After that, I went back to the counter inquired about brake pads for the car, which is my next DIY project to tackle. Last week it was teaching my neighbor how to change her oil. I'm a fairly determined gal.

Reply to
Pookerz

replying to roger, Likuid wrote: Seller did not have any obligation to sell OEM parts. Don't talk about things that you don't know anything about

Reply to
Likuid

What an interested rebuttal to a nearly 1.5 decade old topic.

The disagreement here was not OEM parts, is that he was sold an item told to work for his vehicle but had issues. Not only that, he was sold an additional item (the felt stoppers) that caused the malfunction in the first place.

This is is a cautionary story which proves why I never trust retail or big brand parts shops, or most businesses that claim to know what's good for my vehicle over me

Reply to
Shinnokxz