new engine acting strange

1989 Toyota Pickup

After replacing my engine with 214K miles, my new engine has a strange behavior. It idles at about 600rpms and slowly climbs to about 1400rpms, then suddenly sputters and drops back to about 600rpms. This repeats forever until I figure it out or turn off the engine. lol lol I'm thinking an emissions/vacuum problem, but I don't really know where to begin.

Reply to
ag2

Check the level of your engine coolant. Mine did the exact same thing when I changed the water pump, and didn't have the engine coolant full yet.

Reply to
guess

... check your water levels... if your coolant is low your engine will rev back and fourth... freaking your sensors out... and why get a new engine if the old one only had 214K? It's just breaking in lol.... my 93 just turned over 300K Jodi

Reply to
toy4ever