New engine feedback needed

Continued from my previous post....

So I have made enough mistakes of my own. Now I would like to learn from others. I may drop a new/rebuilt engine in myself or have a shop that I trust do the work. Since I do not do this for a living, it would probably take me 2-4 weeks to rebuild my engine, and I'm not sure that I would not make any mistakes.

My truck is an '89 4cylinder, EFI, 4x4.

Should I consider putting in a 6 cylinder? I would like the boost in power. How much extra work would this cause? What do I need to consider if I do this besides a new exhaust manifold or header? Will the engine mounts match up? How about cooling hoses, electrical, EFI, gearing......?

The extra boost in power is what I would like most. The fuel economy is not important to me as my daily commute to work is 3 miles. A tank of gas lasts over a month for me.

TIA AG2

Reply to
ag2

scott and barb

None of the 4 cyl stuff will work with a yota 6 cylinder --- all has to be replaced (wiring, ECU, gauges). Cheaper route would be 3.8/4.3L GM V6 --- Cheaper to buy/rebuild, more power and better gas mileage. Check out DOA racing -- they have 22RE long blocks built up for more power. The yota V6 is only like 30 HP more than the 4 and few hundred pounds heavier.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Forgot to mention. My original engine pooped out after 214,000 miles. So I feel I got my money's worth out of this engine and I'm not too hip on the idea of rebuilding it.

Reply to
ag2

Swapping to a 6 cyl would mean a lot of changes other than just engine- you'd have to swap out computer gadgets and some wiring, etc. (I haven't had any coffee yet, can you tell?) It might be easier/cheaper to stick with the same engine and do a straight swap rather than 'upgrade' to a larger one. With 214K miles and owner/mechanic fault the only tell-tale reason for it pooping out, sounds like a good bet. The same engine would be about as reliable and durable if not moreso now that the lesson's learned.

Reply to
Pookerz

Stick with the four cyl, if you want more HP check the WEB I'm sure you could find all kinds of options for more HP Super charger, turbo etc.

Get a good used engine from Japan, the Japanese government make them swap complete engines at low mileage so there are a lot available. One source I found, I am sure there are others:

John A

Reply to
PCK