New Tacoma

I have one.... access cab, auto, v-6. It's great. Gets 21 MPG in mixed city / highway driving. Handles great. Plenty of power (in fact compared to my `94, this is a rocket ship).

I use mid-octane Shell and it seems to run just fine. I don't tow with it and the 4-wheel use is just on the road. It's an SR5 not a TRD or off-road.

I love the seats and there's decent room in the back for short trips. The extra doors are great for loading and loading "stuff".

All in all I'm very happy with it.

Reply to
JSR

Billstein

Yes it is.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

That's interesting. My 98 3.4 gets 16 - regardless of city or 85 on an all highway trip. I do acknowledge that at 55 or 60 those numbers could change significantly - possibly closer to 19 or 20

It was like that since the truck was new and I too used to get pinging with lower octane fuel at relatively low rpm. I'm in the Gulf Coast area so it's low altitude, warm and moist - that doesn't help either.

Added the supercharger (got it for $1700) larger >Doug Kanter wrote:

Reply to
cmoschip

Was that the start of getting 16 MPG or was it getting that since new? I have a 04 Double Cab Taco w/ the V-6 and the pathetically small hills in FL (I-10) still make my truck downshift sometimes when the cruise is on.

Mac

Reply to
Mac

"Mac .net>"

My 02 V6 Tacoma does the same thing on small hills. The cruise control is the worst I have ever seen. I had the service department check it. Guess what, I was told that it is Normal on the Tacomas. It is so irritating that I don't even use mine anymore. It doesn't just shift out of overdrive. It will shift down a full gear and cause the engine to run at a much higher rpm and be very noisy. This has to kill gas mileage. If I just depress the accelerater pedal slowly it does much better on hills. That tells me that the cruise could be made to function much better.

Bobby

Reply to
bbtaco

I agree it could be better. I usually accelerate a bit before bigger hills with my foot to try and keep it from downshifting. I gotta have cruise though...... can't stand people who can't keep a constant speed on the interstate. Nothing like the person you passed 30 seconds ago passing you and giving you a dirty look like you did something wrong when all you were doing was 70 mph the whole time!

Mac

Reply to
Mac

My driving style realy didn't change after the upgrades. I think on average I lost about 1mpg. I know other guys with the 3.4 that get very low mileage as well and some that get substantially better. Not sure the problem.

My truck always had a problem with detonation since it was new - the SC made that MUCH worse, but with the fuel upgrades and the computer to alter the timing map it's virtually gone with a small appearance now and then on very warm days - 95-100 degrees F.

Reply to
cmoschip