New Tires for a 2001 Land Cruiser

The tires on my 2001 Land Cruiser need to be replaced. I never liked the Dunlop Grandtreks that came from the factory. I'm considering Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, Yokohama HTS G051, and Pirelli Scorpion STR. I'm looking for a quiet tire with good traction and good tread ware. We live in So. Cal., so a winter tire is not needed.

Comments or suggestions are welcomed.

TIA

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

I like the Bridgestones as the best of the bunch you list. Also consider Goodyear Fortera, Michelin Cross Terrain, Michelin LTX M/S, or Cooper Discoverer H/T. I think either the Bridgestone Alenza Michelin LTX M/S would be my first choices. Costco likely has the best prices.

Ken

Joseph W> The tires on my 2001 Land Cruiser need to be replaced. I never liked the

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I've been a big Bridgestone Dueler fan ever since I got my 93 4Runner. But I'm looking for a Highway tire, not necessarily an Off-Road tire. Next time I change tires on my 4Runner, I'm probably going with the Dueler Revo. As for Michelin LT series, it's a bit over priced and over rated. That's why I'm considering the Yokohama Geolander HTS and the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. They both seem to be equally rated. But I'm still open for suggestions.

I could get Mickey Thompson tires for a song, but they don't make a Highway tire. I know Cooper Tire, who now owns MT, but MT's Off-road tires suck on the street. My cousin's got a set of MTXs on his Durango, and they want to slide on dry pavement. So I'm not sold on Cooper, yet.

FYI, Costco has great prices on popular tire sizes, but on odd ball sizes they are about the same price elsewhere and have to be special ordered. Next time you go to Costco you'll see more stock for 265/70R16 than

275/70R16.

I do appreciate the input, but I'm looking for more personal experiences before I decide.

Thanks,

JW

Bridgestone

Reply to
Joseph Wind

So? Check the diameters, and see if that 'popular size' fits and how far it might throw your speedometer off. It might be only 1% or

2% - heck, it might even be in the right direction to correct the inaccuracy it has now...

And if you want longer life at the risk of a harsher ride, go LT instead of P. You can't go to a lower load rating, but higher is OK.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman