newbie Tacoma 4x4 question

am going to buy my first Toy truck - can't wait. question: what's up with the 4x4 in Tacomas? one website I was doing research on said something about "manual" hubs or something and as I've looked at Tacomas they have a small "4x4" stickshift on the floor. do I have to get out of the truck and lock something to go to 4x4 in a Tacoma?

looking at 98 and 99's - can someone give me some idea about this? my buddy has an F150 and he just turns a knob on the dash when he wants 4x4. how does the Tacoma compare to that system?

thanks!

mark

Reply to
Mark

Tacoma has "part-time" 4WD with automatic disconnecting diff. You just pull it into 4WD with the shifter. I would not compare anything about a Tacoma to a Ford.

Reply to
Dan G

okay, my bad!! sorry 'bout that - no comparison there of course. was just wondering how the 4x4 thing worked - sure don't want to have to get out of my truck in the mud and lock hubs or something.

am I correct that no Pre-Runners have 4x4?

mark

Reply to
Mark

I can only speak from experience with my 2002. I press a button on one of the shifters and I'm in 4x4. The same shifter allows me to put the truck into a low range, which is really handy if you happen to not notice that you've driven into a spot with fresh, wet snow on top of six inches of mud which was apparently mixed with glycerine. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

A Pre-runner is two wheel drive only. My 02 Tacoma has the push button 4x4 selector. I also have the push button rear differential lock. I believe the

2000 model year was the last time you could get manual locking hubs on a Tacoma. The auto locking hubs were optional then.

BBTaco

Reply to
bbtaco

I'll have to admit, I was somewhat confused about how the 4x4 system works. The stick has a button and 3 lever settings: low-neutral-hi If I put the 4x4 lever in neutral, there is no auto transmition control either. I suspect it's for towing purposes only. I just leave the 4x4 stick in hi and use the button to engage or disengage the front diff. But I'm not sure why they do it that way, or what's going on mechanically.

The Toyota manual shows 3 different 4x4 operating instructions depending on what kind of system you have.

Reply to
studio

If you can't figure it out based on the manual, take it to the dealer and ask to speak to A MECHANIC. If you end up with a salesperson, and he or she takes the manual out of the glove box, reach over, open their door, put your foot on the side of its head, and shove it (the person) out onto the pavement. You want someone who can show you, not read to you.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Your 4x4 has part-time four wheel drive with manual locking hubs. That means you need to turn your hubs from "free" to "lock" when you want to engage 4 wheel drive. Once the hubs are locked to the front differential, you can shift into four wheel drive (the small manual shift stick inside the cab). But you do not have to wait until you need 4 wheel drive- i.e., in mud, loose sand, or snow- to lock your hubs. You can lock them as soon as you go off road. You can drive in two wheel drive mode with the hubs locked. In fact, Toyota recommends it for a few miles every month to keeps the components lubricated. Just remember it is best to unlock them when you get back on the highway, as you do not want to put to much unneccesary wear and tear on the 4 wheel drive components.

Reply to
desert_taco
  1. how do you lock the hubs?

  1. if I'm understanding you correctly, I could be going hunting, and when I get to my lease and find it is muddy then I'd need to get out of the truck and lock hubs? then I can shift to 4x4?

that doesn't sound good at all. my buddy's F150 features a knob on the dashe - he turns it and he has 4x4. no getting out in the mud and goo. why can't Toyota do that too?

mark

Reply to
Mark

On my 2002 Tacoma, all I need to do is push a button inside the truck. No turning of hubs. I don't know what year that changed. Maybe you could find that out. Perhaps it changed in 2000 and for a few hundred bucks more, you could have what you want.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I guess you need to know whether your truck has automatic- or manual-locking hubs. If it has manual locking hubs, then you need to do two things in order to be in four wheel drive (4WD). First, you need to physically get out of your truck, go up to each front wheel and turn the knob from "free" to "lock". You'll know they are locked when the two arrows line up with each other. It is a really simple procedure. Secondly, you'll need to shift the transfer case from H2(2-HI) to H4(4-HI), (or L4[4-LOW] if you need a lot of traction). This is done by shifting the small shift stick. You will see a small schematic diagram of the wheels, axles, and driveshafts light up on the dash. You are now in 4WD-mode.

If you have automatic 4WD, you do not need to exit the vehicle. All you have to do is push a button or turn a knob to lock the hubs. I guess on Tacomas, this button is on the transfer case shift stick. Once the button is pressed, you then shift into H4 or L4.

It sounds like your buddy has "on-the-fly" 4WD. All he has to do is push a single button to lock the hubs and be in either 4-HI or 4-LOW. That is pretty slick. One disadvantage to this, however, is that if the electrical components fail, you may be up the creek. You won't have this problem with manual-locking hubs.

But like I said before, you do not need to find yourself in a sticky situation to get out and lock your hubs. As soon as you hit the dirt, lock the hubs even if you are in 2WD mode. You can drive around this way all day long if you like. You are not going to break anything. Then when you hit or are about to hit mud, loose sand, etc., shift into 4WD. Don't wait until it's too late.

One comment about 4-LOW. You should only use it when you really need it. For a beginner, it is really important to be going very slowly and have the truck in neutral (if you have an automatic transmission) or depress the clutch pedal (if using a manual transmission)when shifting in or out of 4-LOW. If not you could seriously damage the 4WD components. But this is all in the Tacoma Owner's Manual. I would also recommend picking up a copy of "Shifting into 4WD-The SUV Owner's 4WD Handbook" by Harry Lewellyn. It help makes sense of all this

4WD drive mumbo jumbo. Good Luck.
Reply to
desert_taco

what a GREAT post!

thanks so much for this very valuable information! I really appreciate your help.

mdr

Reply to
Mark

They do, and have been doing that for years. What year truck are you talking about?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Here is a site explaining Toyotas Automatic Differential Disconnect system. ADD for short.

I just bought a '99 Tacoma with the V-6 engine, Auto Transmission and manual locking hubs. I looked at a T-100 with the ADD system and after researching it I didn't want it. I think the article said that there are approximately 200 parts in the ADD system. BTW Downey Off Road offers a kit for $750.00 or so that defeats the ADD system by locking the axle and sleeve together and installing locking hubs. IMHO the automatic systems are for Soccer Mom's ;-}

You don't have to get your feet muddy with manual locking hubs. I lock mine before leaving the pavement and then go to 4 Hi on the fly if and when I need the extra traction. One of the disadvantages of having a push button system is that you are wearing out parts that are not in use. I.E. CV joints and boots plus bearing wear.

Jarhead

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion...Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

-John Adams

Reply to
Jarhead

is there any specific year where Toyo started using all automatic hubs or do I always have to check no matter the year?

mark

Reply to
Mark

No manual hubs from 2001 and newer Tacomas.

Reply to
bbtaco