OBD I Diagnostics Port

1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 What type of information can I gather from the diagnostics port beside codes? I was thinking about picking up a code scanner. I saw one that will display the actual error code number rather than reading a blinking pattern. But I can save the $25.00 by using a jumper and just put the car in neutral and turn the key. Then look up the blinking pattern to get the error code. But is there a cable and software I can purchase to perform diagnostics with a laptop or is this a feature with OBD II in 1996 and later?
Reply to
ag2

Lots of info at

and/or