Oil capacity for 3VZ-E

I have a 95 Toyota pickup, 4WD with the 3VZ-E engine. The information I have says that the oil capacity with filter is 4.8 qrts. I drained the oil and added 4 qrts but now the dipstick shows well beyond full. What gives. Can anyone confirm the oil capacity for the 3VZ-E 4WD engine??

Thanks....

Reply to
Terri

Start the engine so the oil filter fills up with oil - thats about a quart.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang, I did run the engine after refilling the oil. I did NOT change the filter when I dropped the oil. My manual says the capacity is 4.8 qrts with filter and 4.4 without filter.

I assume this means if you change the filter use 4.8, if the filter is not changed use 4.4. In either case I only added 4qrts.

I started it up again and the level still looks very high on the dipstick. The oil pressure gauge on the dash is in the middle when idling which I believe is normal. This is somewhat troubling...

Reply to
Terri

My 3VZ-E (91 4Runner with V6) has the same listed capacities. It will take 5 quarts with a change of filter.

Reply to
Finnbow

Just wondering...are you sure you drained the engine oil. The trans drain isn't too far from the oil pan drain on these Toyotas. A couple years back my brother changed the oil in our Mom's Camry. He accidentally drained the trans pan and added about 5 quarts of oil to the engine he never drained of the original 5. Mom drove to work and back and said it felt like it was shifting funny so we found what my brother did and fixed it. Since then I've been a believer in Toys. She drove it about 100 miles with double the oil and probably 3 quarts low on the trans fluid with no damage done. Mom drove it years after that with no problem.

Mastiff

Reply to
Mastiff M

My '93 V6 also take 5 quarts including the oil change.

Reply to
John

Look Terri, after you've added the oil, start that bitch up and let it idle for 10 minutes or so. then let it sit for 5-10 minutes. I think you'll get a happy reading. That new oil has to settle a lot more places than just the sump.

Reply to
?reality