Oil Filter ??

Bought this RAV4 2001 from Texas Toyota in Dallas in 2005. Started hearing funky noises from the engine, decided to change the oil after it hit the 53,000 mark from buying it at the 50,000 mark. Drained the oil. Pulled the oil filter. Looked at the oil filter's date stamped on the bottom : 1 June 2001 A. I didn't know oil filters had date codes. B. I didn't suspect the vehicle would have a problem with the oil filter since it was "Quality Checked"... etc.. etc.. C. It took 4 qts to fill the puppy.

In the paperwork with the vehicle, there are receipts for taking the RAV4 back to the dealership and getting oil changes - regularly. You know, I think they might have missed the oil filter.

Reply to
William Hayes

No telling how long a filter sat on shelf before it was used so do not hold too much on date. The condition of oil and cleanlyness of engine inside valve cover will tell you if it has been service properly. Keep a eye on the oil for a while and if it gets dirty fast because of dirty in engine from lack of past maintainance, change it and filter a few times at 1000 to 1500 miles until it gets "flushed out". Alway change filter with oil.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

How do you know the vehicle had problems with the oil filter?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Just old stock -- probably when they were still quality made in JAPAN vice the new IAWAN ones!

Reply to
Wolfgang

Yeah. Might have been a shelf sitter. Still, Kinda makes one wonder :)

Oil is clean, Engine runs alot smoother, with more pickup and power. Lifters don't clack anymore. I'm guessing a clogged oil filter.

Reply to
William Hayes

Lifters were clacking, oil light would flick on and off (not a good sign), and the oil was near perfect. Changed the oil filter, puppy runs, scampers, and moves... for a 4 cyl.

Reply to
William Hayes

Old stock from 2001 ? ... When the dealship rolls pretty close to 20,000 changes (according to their brochure) a year ? I dunno. Makes me wonder. :) Might be old stock, but they'd have had to have bought over 50,000 oil filters to keep a few on the shelf.... Needless to say, I'm not going back to the dealership to change oil. And Yeah... those oil filters had to be TOUGH.... 50,000 + miles and still kept the oil clean...

Reply to
William Hayes

How about the warehouse they order from? Maybe Toyota stocked that many. What's the diff? They don't taste lousy as they get older. :)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Changed the oil on a friend's 2 year old honda - he always had the dealer do it before that since new - the filter had never been changed

- o ring was stuck to the block and had same level of filth on it as engine block. So it does happen - doing your own maintenance is simple, faster than going to a garage/dealer for it and a whole lot less risky than going to an instant oil change place.

Who are you going to trust - very few if any.

Reply to
spacetrax

I know. I've been with the same mechanic for 20 years. When he retires, I'm getting a horse. If you're interested, though,

has a section where people have recommended mechanics in various cities. There *are* some good ones.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Dealer gets them from a warehouse and takes what they give them. I have seen old filter on the shelf of Walmart a few times that must have been ratholed for several years and then found.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Very True. Very True.

Reply to
William Hayes

I've noticed that with Italian Wine, with Japanese Wine... not so much...

American Wine.... ....too many raisins in the wheat chaff. Like Indian Chiefs, not enough Indians doing the work. Robots are great, up to where the software doesn't glitch, hydraulics keeps pumping, and the power keeps humming.... once that belt slips.... pfth. They have do overs in the game of life, but no do overs doing life.

Reply to
William Hayes

It is so important to get a mechanic you can trust. Sadly, I know dealer service departments that have done serious damage to a vehicle just by doing an oil change. One instance (a friend's truck) the dealer mechanic over-tightened the oil drain plug and stripped the threads, then denied it. The insurance agent got involved and the Chevy dealer had to replace the oil pan. I guess this can happen to anyone. I always change my own oil--it's easy once you know the procedure and have all the proper tools. Changing the oil is also a good time to perform other maintenance checks.

Reply to
Phisherman