Oil Filter Relocation Kit

Anybody use an oil filter relocation kit on their Tacoma? I bought one from Performance Products and am a little nervous about the hose life. I had two high performance hoses made up at Napa today and am going to try the install at my next oil change. If anyone has any horror stories to share I would greatly appreciate the advanced warning! Thanks!

Reply to
Puny Human

Lord Howard Hurts

I would be grateful if you'd post the specs for those hoses you've had fabricated. I have the same relocation kit, but it's stored in my attic because it leaked when I installed it, and now I'm afraid to use it. Custom hoses would be perfect! What particular fittings and hose size did you use? Thanks!

Rad

Reply to
Rad

Always use the Toyota filters, even though the remote filter kit comes with a PH8A Ford filter and the threads are the same.

The Toyota oil filters have the overpressure bypass valve built into the filters, so if you live in the Snow Belt you won't blow the filter element (or the can seam/base gasket) on cold starts.

And upgrading to Aeroquip hydraulic-grade hoses is a good idea too, in case you get a pressure spike on the supply line to the filter that would blow the cheap hose they ship with the kits.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I'm not sure about the exact hose specs other than it is 1/2" ID steel- braided hydraulic hose. It's supposed to be able to withstand 3500 PSI. Napa charged me around $20.00 for two 26" lengths of hose and the 4 fittings I needed. They said they use a hydraulic press to attach the fittings to the hose ends. I did notice that the hose is alot less flexible than the stuff the kit shipped with. I'm hoping I had them make hoses that will be long enough to make it to my intended mounting location (under the battery tray). Here's what's printed on the hose: "Weatherhead 1/2 H42508 Coll*Crimp L USA SAE 100R2AT 3500 PSI MAX W.P. MSHA 2G-13C U.S.C.G. F,H 08/14/03"

Hope that helps you...

Reply to
Puny Human

Thanks for the advice!

Reply to
Puny Human

That's great! Thanks!

Reply to
Rad

BTW, one of your two oil hoses will have to have its final (4th) connection made without twisting the hose itself when the fittings are screwed into the adapters. Do those fittings allow for this? If they do not, you will see what I mean when you begin to install them.

Or, are your hoses already connected to the filter adapter and the engine adapter? If so, you're good to go.

Reply to
Rad

Both hoses have a swivel adapter at one end to avoid the problem you mention.

Reply to
Puny Human