Oil Gauge stopped!!!!

While driving to work one past morning I watched as my oil pressure gauge bottomed out, flat lined. My gut reaction was to "shut 'er down". Now, this oil gauge belongs to a 90 4Runner with 3VZE engine that has about 90,000 after a factory rebuild. THere is 167,000 on the ODE! I did stop and check the oil, (FINE), I started 'er back up and stood there and listened for the tapping to start! Nothing, Now I'm standing there at 0430 in snowfall of 1-2 inch per hour, thinking do I continue or do I pack it in for the day! No tapping,? been running for 5 minutes, What the hell it's a Toyota, go to work! Now that I got her home I recheck the oil, No leaks, oil still clean as the day I put it in about 2 month ago, just a bit darker than cheap honey! Ok, so I figured this is just a bad sending unit, she'll be fine until I can get the garage opened up, ( we just moved and the garage is still holding most of the old house).

My question is: AM I asking for trouble? Realistically, The garage cannot be emptied in mere days more like another week or two. Hell, it took me two days just to get the air compressor lines and 240 vt power run. I can "SEE" my tool boxes but I really don't want to work outside when I have a heated garage. She goes to the dealer this Wed. for the steering rod relay, do I have them rape me , ER I mean check the gauge problem?

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

I would not suggest driving it any further till you get a mechanical pressure gauge connected and check that it's only the sender before driving it to the dealer, even if it's cold and snowy outside, just for peace of mind.

Engines are not cheap.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Hi there is there a oil pressure light also on that model and is it working OK coming on with the key and off with the engine running, and check the connections at the sender. Joe

Reply to
Joe

YEs there is an idiot light regarding oil.At least it does illuminate for a second or two when I turn on the key.

I know that I have sufficient oil pressure to the engine, I just don't like the not knowing the pressure is stable.

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

Had a similiar thing happen to me as well. Mine is a '90 4runner V6 with

370K. All it turned out to be was the sender unit had come loose after hitting a big bump. That might be something to check out, a new one at the dealer is around $90 Can. Glad I didn't have to replace it! HTH
Reply to
PJ