Oil leak on 3VZE. Right, top, back?

The valve cover gaskets have been going to a long time creating a huge mess. A few oil changes ago, I noticed it was leaking more oil then normal. You know where I parked, even if I only parked for an hour.

Last week I changed the valve cover gaskets and cleaned the entire engine the best I could. It took 8 hours of work, most of that cleaning. I thought I had the problem licked. Untill a day later when I noticed that it was leaking oil just as fast as before.

The oil is comming from the top, right, back side of the engine. Without taking all the intake stuff off again, I checked the valve cover gaskets again and they look clean and try. Well, the parts I could see. The leak is in a hard area to look into.

What else can leak oil in this area? What should I be looking for?

Thanks

Reply to
Eddie

When you replaced the gasket did you apply a bead of grease in the channel that holds the gasket? Did you replace the PCV when you had the intake off?

When you say "right side", I'm assuming the passenger side of the engine on a US model vehicle.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

I don't think the service manual called for that, so I didn't. The oil leak started before I changed the valve cover gaskets so the new gaskets did not stop it or start it. I replaced the PCV valve with it's rubber grommet.

Ya, right side, AKA. passenger side. I am in the US.

Thanks

Reply to
Eddie

It's sort like putting oil on the rubber gasket on a new oil filter before you install it. It helps the contact surfaces seal better.

I had to replace my valve cover gaskets a while back. Had a broken valve spring that needed to be replaced. The mechanic who did the job put RTV on the gasket, which did not last long. Tried to tighten the bolts, to no avail, so I replaced both valve covers gaskets and the PCV valve. Not a fun job.

Where did you purchase the replacement gaskets?

Reply to
Joseph Wind

With cork gaskets, ya I use some gasket gunk or RTV. On good quality rubber gaskets, I found that nother else is needed. (next to maybe a touch of the stuff on the corners). I hate scraping the old gunk off. I don't think it's the valve cover gaskets that are leaking tho.

Looking at the book today, I noticed that the back of the valve cams are covered with some type of plug. I picked two up at the dealer. Metal and rubber plug sort of like a freeze plug. That sure could be leaking.

Now how to remove the old ones without ripping the engine out. That is the question now.

I got my valve cover gaskets from partspalace.com

Reply to
Eddie