Oil pressure

I was looking at a 2001 Tundra the other day, it has only 51,000 milesn on it, they want 18,000 .00 for it. It started right up after turning the keys, but the oil pressure gauge read high, dang near the top of the gauge. The used car manager tried to tell me it's normal for imports due to the tighter clearences in the engine. I haven't gone back, can't help thinking he was feeding me a line of, you know what....Please let me know if he's correct.....thanks ....Wishniwasfishin

Reply to
wishniwasfishin

My 2000 Tundra (65,000 miles) has done the same thing since the day I bought it new. As it was explained to me by one of the Toyota mechanics, it has something to do with initial pressure against the oil sensor (sending unit?) when the engine is started and because the oil is thicker when it's cold. Anyway, after a few seconds it goes back to where it should be.

As for what the manger told you, I don't think so. I've had several cars that were imports. Some had high oil pressure readings upon starting the engine like my Tundra has, some didn't. It sounds to me that his comment about tighter clearances in the engine comment is pretty much bull, just something he came up with to explain it because he doesn't know the answer.

Skip

Reply to
Skip