oil pressure gauge

'93 4Runner with 16,500 mi. Regular oil changes every 3000mi.

Is it normal for the oil pressure gauge not to read as high as it used too... When I say "used too", I mean that on the freeway, the gauge would be just a hair below the normal high mark. Now its just a hair below the halfway mark. Maybe its been doing this for a while and I just havnt noticed it until now.

A few weeks ago I noticed for the first time, a puff of white smoke when I started her up in the morning.

TIA John

Reply to
John

errr I mean 160,500 miles

Reply to
John

My '93 pickup's oil pressure gauge started reading 'lower than usual' (yes, with oil in it...) at around 90K miles. It never dropped down into the 'low' range, but it was about 10 - 20% (of the gauge's span) lower. Also, it dropped WAY lower at idle than it ever had before...

I had a shop check it out. They said the sensor / sender seemed to be 'fatigued' (just not reading as crisply as it should), and I replaced it. The in-motion readings went back up to where they'd been, but it _still_ read lower at idle. NOTE: The shop measured the actual oil pressure at idle as only 5% 'off' the as-new spec.

All I mean to illustrate is yes, the gauge may be reading lower as a function of its own age / fatigue, etc. However, there are a lot of other (more disturbing) things that could cause it, too.

Reply to
Dr. Randall Whitaker

Thanks... One think that bugs me almost as much as my oil pressure gauge is the my posts come out looking fragmented all the time? The paragraphs dont seem to stay the way I write them? Is there some switch in Outlook I'm missing?

(slightly off topic but any help would be appreciated)

Reply to
John

Either you've got paragraph wrap turned on to some number that's too small, or you've got it turned off when you compose and on when you read.

Dreamer

I think the standard width is 72 characters. Also, see if there's an auto wrap that will wrap your text at the character width setting. I use Mozilla so haven't really looked at Outlook or Outlook Express for some time...

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM