Oil weight for 2.4L 4Cyl.

I need to know what weight oil is recommended for a 1994 Toyota PU with a

2.4L 4cyl 4WD. I had to rebuild the top end because some idiot replaced the radiator with the one from the 2WD after a wreck. Only has 180K and I hope I can get that much more if I switch to Amsoil since the inside of the motor is clean.
Reply to
Bert

dont synths cause seals to shrink from being swolen when using dino oils for a long time? if so then i would not use synth oil, just a quality castrol or valvoline.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

10w-30 works fine on mine. I run Castrol 50% conventional / 50% syn. not sure why the 2 row radiator didn't work unless u really do a lot crawlin' 4wd in hot weather. what broke?
Reply to
JeB
5w-30w if I recall. Definitely for 95's. Switching oils at 180k? Why?
Reply to
SBC Usenet

You can use anything from a 0W-30 to a 15W-40. With wear on the engine and especially in hot weather, go heavier. In winter, if very cold, go 5W-30.

Amsoil is good, overpriced, and overhyped. It is no better than any other synthtic oil, just blended to last longer between oil drains.

The besy synthetic for the money is Shell Rotella-T 5W-40. I'm using 5W-40 in my family fleet. In winter, the syn 5W flows better than conventional 5W, and when hot the syn 40 provides more protection than syn or conventional 30 and more than conventional

  1. I use Schaeffer. Valvoline Blue, Mobil 1 are also excellent. These are dual-rated for gasoline and diesel engines.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

"Bert" wrote: > I need to know what weight oil is recommended for a 1994 > Toyota PU with a > 2.4L 4cyl 4WD. I had to rebuild the top end because some idiot > replaced the > radiator with the one from the 2WD after a wreck. Only has > 180K and I hope I > can get that much more if I switch to Amsoil since the inside > of the motor > is clean.

Use 10w30 but if even is already high milelage, switching to Amsoil may yeild little more (if any) in life expectancy over frequent changes with regular oil. Myself I would not switch to synthetic oil late in a engines life. I have seen a lot of "Yota?s" go well past

200k with ease on regular motor oil.
Reply to
SnoMan

I am not sure about that but syn oil has thinner longer chain molecues they tend to get through marginal seal better and cause them to weep/leak a bit. SYN really does its best in a very tight/close tolerance engine because of its molecular design nad a poorer choice for engines that are worn in a bit.

Reply to
SnoMan

I put over 230k on a camary with a 4cyl before it was totaled and the engine ran great till end and it never had anything but 10w30 in it from the day I got it. I am not big on using 5w30 in a 4 banger except in cold weather as a higher RPM 4 banger places more demands on oil and film strength than a slower reving bigger engine.

Reply to
SnoMan