old tape stripe removal

91 4-Runner, that terrible oxidizing fire-engine red paint. The typical tape stripes, kind of a fading white stripe. These weren't pretty (IMHO) to begin with but at this age they look pretty crappy, I'm wondering how much fun I'd have removing them. I'm assuming it would be a blow-dryer type of deal but what could I possibly scrape with w/o scratching / scraping the paint? Would this previously protected section of paint mismatch w/ the rest for years or would it oxidize as fast as the rest of the truck does aafter it is repolished / waxed (not very long)?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Definate hair drier and solvent jobbie, not at all a fun task, I did mine years ago. Yes the paint will be fine uner your stripes. Oxidising paint work! Try polishing it once in a while. Red just shows it up more than most other colors.

Reply to
Scotty

Get a can of Lift Off to help with removal and use a body filler platic allier to help with removal. Then ger some polishing compound and a good buffer. Paint therer will be darker but with good rubbing and polish it should improve greatly.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I used a tea kettle of boiling water and a guitar pick. Did a great job without damaging the paint.

Reply to
ag2

Hmm boiling water down ya nice panels, how many did you warp while doing that process?

Reply to
Scotty

I did this on a Chevy. Maybe the panels are thicker, stronger on a Chevy. My truck had a mint condition paint job and the boiling water did not hurt it a bit.

Reply to
ag2