old vs. new blocks: same timing cover?

Asked a couple of days ago about the 80s 22re motor in the 92 pickup I bought 6 months ago. (Surprise!) Does anyone know if the timing covers are the same on the older and newer 22re's? I noted when I removed the cover that the previous disassembler had thrown a wad of RTV on the bottom left side of the cover. Thought he was just a hack. I reassembled after the head gasket and timing job, finally got it running (had the distributor off by a couple of teeth even though I marked it), and then watched it puke volumes of oil from the area had he wadded up. Given that the P.O. apparently swapped this motor out for an older model, I wonder if the cover he used was for the newer block. All of the bolt holes line up, and the top to bottom hight is right (between head gasket and oil pan) but I wonder if there is a small difference.

Should I leaking cover be dumping this volume of oil on the floor? Or does it indicate leaking at the crank seal or oil pump seal?

Finally, does anyone know where I can find the casting numbers on this block?

Thanks...

Reply to
David Floyd
22R Series tech data:

Sidney=AE =99 Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada

1985 Toyota 4-Runner,solid front straight axle,factory cruise control,sunroof,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 251 000 KM
Reply to
sidneybek