over fill motor oil

The mechanic over filled the motor oil by 2 quarts. I noticed loss power and drove the car for about 1K miles. Will this damage my car permanently?

Thanks

Reply to
R Wang

maybe, drain 2 qts out of it fast. When you have too much oil it aerates and turns into a frothy foam, defeating the purpose of the oil. Liquid oil lubricates, air bubbles don't.

Reply to
TacomaDude

Probably the sooner the better! Even though you already put 1,000 miles on it in the over-filled condition, get rid of the extra. If it was me, I'd have another oil change, perhaps at a different shop, or if you go to the same shop, ask the boss if he can work you some kind of a deal, free oil, free labor, or free filter. They won't be out that much and it might help restore your confidence in their service.

-- Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

Some owner manuals state that permanent damage may result if oil is over filled but I don't know the basis for the statement or what exactly might be damaged. Good question. Hopefully, someone can offer an explanation.

Reply to
Steve

Too much oil can cause seals to blow or leak as the too much oil will cause a built up oil pressure.

Reply to
kkweaver

Reply to
rmlishbrook

My concern would be trying to prove they overfilled it. After all, you put over 1,000 miles on it since the oil change...

Reply to
TOM

No. Too much oil can cause a condition known as "windage," when the crankshaft throws come in contact with the surface of the oil in the sump, beating it into a froth. At this point the oil is no longer oil and permanent damage to bearing surfaces may result.

Joseph

FYI:

I was underfilled once and drove for several days before checking my oil. Nothing bad happened but I now check the oil level after a change to be sure that the fill is correct.

"Facts are stupid things." -- Ronald Reagan, 1988, a misquote of John Adams, "Facts are stubborn things."

Reply to
Randle P. McMurphy

Same here when I had an oil change by Toyota dealership en-route on a long vacation. On the way to Death Valley, evening time, the loudest sound in the world is when the red light came on indicating low-oil pressure. Well, I won't go into the details but to say I was mad would be a serious understatement. That happened in December 1997 and so far, nothing bad resulted from it. From that point on, I do my own work.

Reply to
1 Of The Masses

Too much oil does NOT cause "a built up oil pressure." The "seals" will NOT "blow."

Oil pressure remains the same no matter how much oil is in the engine unless there is no oil. The oil pump pumps oil and creates oil pressure - more oil in the pan just puts the oil pick up deeper in the oil.

As stated above, aeration is the big concern. The crank spinning that fast for that long is the ultimate egg beater and just like an egg beater it will whip the oil into a froth that is full of air. This may or may not have happened to whatever degree. Has it been running a little hotter? Has it been getting harder to start as time goes on? Maybe you are lucky and very little damage has occurred - it is possible. It is also possible that at some point down the road you will spin a bearing. Also, might want to check your PCV valve.

Have to be careful with info on the internet - some of it is complete horseshit.

Foy

Reply to
Foy Blackmon

My mother has a '97 Pathy and someone apparently overfilled by a quart -

5 instead of 4. I think it's only been driven for about couple hundred miles. I drained it back to an acceptable level. Should she be concerned?
Reply to
VTbeWARNING

No.

Reply to
TacomaDude

Thanks Tacodude.

Reply to
VTbeWARNING

What's a Pathy???

Reply to
TOM

pathetic? pathological? Patht iths prime?

*GRIN*
Reply to
Pookerz

Tom asks:

Just because it's not a Toyota you don't have to be sarcastic about it. Pathy is short for Pathfinder (thought everybody knew that) as in Nissan Pathfinder...ever heard of it???

Reply to
VTbeWARNING

Don't be so harsh to yourself like that :)

Reply to
VTbeWARNING

I didn't realize that asking a simple question was sarcasm... :>))

Thanky for the infy... :>))

Reply to
TOM