Overheat 1996 Land Cruiser by towing

Just returned from a nearly 5000 mile trip from Michigan to Yellowstone (Wyoming) in our 1996 Land Cruiser. We are at 134,000 miles on the odometer. Everything seemed to run nicely until this trip. Between our luggage and our pop-up camper we were towing over 2000 pounds. Every time we drove up the slightest uphill climb, the car thermostat quickly rose into the RED zone. We replaced the thermostat in Sioux Falls (just to be safe) but it didn't do any good. We survived the trip, but drove in the far right lane for most of the journey. As soon as the camper and luggage was removed, we were speeding along the two track off roads of Wyoming, but then suffered the same dragging ride back home. Back in Michigan, without the baggage and camper, the Land Cruiser is speeding along the highways. Any ideas? We thought perhaps the radiator was "plugged" up, but it sure seems to flow okay. Thanks for your ideas! Bonny and Family

Reply to
Bonny Lynn

Over the years the symptoms you cite have always for me meant that the radiator needs to be pulled and rodded out and rebuilt if that's possible or replaced. Of course that was with non-Toyota and older vehicles. Since you've removed the thermostat as a possible source of problem and I assume know that the fan(s?) are working and coming on if electric when they should it's the next place I'd go.

It might also before you get in too deep see about the water passages in the engine block and heater for the car. A lot of stuff can accumulate there if the car has overheated in the past and it sounds as though that's the case with yours.

B> Just returned from a nearly 5000 mile trip from Michigan to Yellowstone

-- Address is NOT monitored due to SPAM volume from newsgroups. DO NOT REPLY to post directly.

Reply to
Don't Reply to this address

Is there any method you have tried to thoroughly clean out the dirty radiator WITHOUT removing it from the Land Cruiser?

---Thank you!

Reply to
Bonny Lynn

Take it to a radiator shop and have it chemically flushed. I had cracked the radiator on my old toyota pickup and used a ton of stop leak( i was 19 give me a break). The guy welded the radiator and chemically flushed it twice and he said that should clean it out pretty good.

Reply to
Waveblast9