Overheating mess-up better now.

Overheating but driving fast cooled it off immediatly. (Oh, right: '94 4runner 6cyl. auto/air). Squeezed the upper hose and felt flow when letting go = pump might be ok. Got pricing on new fan clutch but I tested it ok as well. Coolant level in overflow bottle was ok BUT, then I pulled radiator cap and found I was down about 1 gal.

Then remembered buying a cheap cap a while back. Found the cheap replacement cap held the lower cap seal so tightly there could be no flow into the overflow bottle so it escaped elsewhere.

Parts dude at Toy said aftermarket caps and thermostats were the biggest cause of overheating in Toys.

Convinced me.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

The stock Toyota radiators are notorious for developing small fractures. If you losing that much water/coolant, it's going somewhere. Also check to see if your A/C fan is turning.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

I tightened a few hose clamps for good luck but couldn't find any obvious areas which looked like they'd been leaking. The funny thing is, I think it's taken several months to loose enough water to effect the temp gage.

The reason I think this is that another problem has cleared-up as well. I have a one year old AC compressor clutch that was working well at the begining of the season but which then began to only work (it seemed) when I was driving uphill and would stop working if I was going downhill. Sometimes it would work ok if I was doing highway speeds. I thought it might be something to do with the clutch but it turns out to be an overheating AC temp sensor not driving a small AC cut relay which looks as though it supplies power to activate the AC magnetic clutch (through the AC amplifier).

Anyway this has been going on for 3 to 4 months and now, with the added coolant, it works like new. This means I've been low on coolant for all this time and never knew it. I don't think I've ever heard about an AC problem/complaint like this before so it might be just something about this years model???

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger