OXYGEN O2 SENSOR burned out

If the catalytic converter is rusted, making rattling noise. And I do not repair it in time, could the o2 sensors burn out eventually?

Thanks

Reply to
Rey

Why wait untill the thing craps out completely.... if its not right, get it fixed *NOW*, don't wait.... it will be a lot less expensive in the long run.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I had the same problem with my truck. I fixed the converter and saved the sensor for a while.

The sensor is around $200. You can tell if the sensor is broken by going under the hood. Using a jumper wire (per maint. manual) to test the blinking light when you turn the key to accessory. Depending on the flashing light sequence, It will give you an indication that the sensor is a likely faulty. However, you must test the other sensors for that light sequnce to be sure. I happen to find a brand new OEM sensor on eBay for $50. My lucky day.

south4t

No>Why wait untill the thing craps out completely.... if its not right, get it

Reply to
www.azautofair.com via CarKB.c

The oxygen sensor is replaced for free in the USA only when the vehicle reaches it's first 80 000 miles regardless of the age & number of owners as stated in the factory owner's manual in the maintenance section,some Toyota dealerships are reluctant to replace it for free if that happens contact the Toyota regional head office for your region where they will give your local dealership 48 hours to comply. On average the oxygen sensors should be replaced every 6 years or 100

000 miles or so which ever comes first as stated in the owner's manual,warranty booklet and factory service manual.

If it is not under warranty then from my/others experience/research purchase an o2 sensor in the following order:

1)Toyota (NipponDenso now called Denso) 2)Denso aftermarket (Same as original but sold aftermarket) 3)NTK (oxygen sensor division of NGK)

Available at:

(10% shipping by Fed Ex orfree shipping with $100 & over speak to Roger at 1-888-271-3948
before you replace the oxygen sensor soak the 14 mm brass nuts with any of these deep penetrating oils several times for several hours:

1)PB Blaster 2)Liquid Wrench 3)Kroil Oil 4)Aero Kroil & Sili Kroil 5)Toyota Rust Penetrant or High Performance Penetrating lube 6)Rust Check

the first ones being the best,also if you decide you need new ones here is the Toyota part for the exhaust manifold (brass)nuts # 90179-10175 (14 mm socket)

Sidney=AE =99 Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada

1985 Toyota 4-Runner,solid front straight axle,factory cruise control,sunroof,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 251 000 KM
Reply to
sidneybek

Have you tried to get Toyota Canada to replace it? What did they say?

Reply to
anon

It's not listed in the Canadian owner's manuals so they won't replace it for free,I called them 6 years ago.