Paint chipping on 2005 Tacoma

Here's some pictures

Toytruck

Here's an alternate site

Toytruck

I traded in my 01 Tundra 2 months ago for an 05 double cab. I have 2800 miles on the new Tundra and there are numerose chips on the nose and front fenders. After 100,000 miles and 4 1/2 years the old Tundra had little or no chipping. I dropped the 05 truck off for service this week for a vibration at speeds of 60-80mph and a strange vibration from a hard acceleration wile stopped or from a slow roll. I also detailed the chip problem, indocating at this point I will have to repaint the nose of the truck in about 18mos. I also stated that I wanted a written response from Toyota.

I will keep you posted.

Reply to
James Enman

You will get the cold shoulder from Toyota. You need to call HQ.

Reply to
Bob H

On my 2004 Toyota Tacoma, I am finding that the road spray of the front tires is sand blasting the rear quarter panels in front of the rear tires. Each side of the truck is getting pitted with major paint loss, exactly similar to the photos in the other posts. My driving habits have been normal and with only 5800 miles on the truck, this pitting should not be occurring. The truck is 3-months old, has been on paved roads and has not been on gravel roads at all. Obviously this pitting will result in the degradation of the appearance of the truck as well as ultimate rusting of these quarter panels.

The truck came with stock tires and mudflaps. The dealer says I should install bigger mud flaps and repaint the truck.

Any advise on what remedy I may seek in with this problem will be appreciated?

Reply to
1derring

[...]

Check

very extensive write ups regarding thistopic. The "solution" seems to be to install the factory running boards orsomething equivilent. The tube steps are ok but don't protect as well. Nerfboards work well too.

Reply to
anonymous

I picked up my 2005 Tundra double-cab in March of last year and have also noticed paint chips appearing in various spots. Instead of along the bottom edges or in the front, mine seem to be on the top surfaces of the hood and window areas.

Also - I noticed that the surface is easily scratched (especially along the sides).

Has anybody else experienced this? If so, what action did they take? I purchased a small bottle of touch-up paint that I've been using just to prevent the onset of rust, but I'd like to know of a more permanent solution or preventative action.

Reply to
NeoCenturian

Yeah I have the same problem 2004 Tundra double cab, the fender flares and the rear sides are all chipping quite badly. I think it is this new enviro-friendly paint. My Dealer said that there was nothing they could do. Saddly running boards are not an option for all of us...

Reply to
Amphora

Check out

big discussion over there aboutthis exact issue. Due to EPA regulations and the inability of automakers touse leaded paint, paint that meets EPA standards is therefore a littlesofter than older generation paint. Toyota aparently recomends purchasingrunning boards to protect the paint. See the web site for more information.

Reply to
anonymous

"Toytruck"

Just curious, what colors tend to do this? Is there a common link/trend?

My dad, a former auto body instructor, always told me never buy a red or a blue vehicle - mainly because of fading and difficulty matching paints. But that was ages ago. I would suspect paints and processes are better now. Now with environmental concerns, maybe they're not...

I remember Ford had a major issue with F Series trucks chipping and fading. They were all silver iirc.

Ruth CM

Reply to
RPM1

I remember the story. A friend of mine worked at a Chevrolet dealership and told me that the cars with the silver paint had a really bad problem with the paint peeling and chipping. The returned the paint to DuPont (or who ever made the paint). A year or two later, Ford started having problems with their silver paint peeling and chipping. He said he figured the paint manufacturer sold the same batch to Ford for a good price.

I heard the story in the early 90's (If I remember right), but it probably qualifies as an urban legend.

Reply to
TOM

"TOM"

I dunno. My SIL was blessed with one of those Ford trucks. By the time she ditched it the thing barely had any paint on the hood & roof. Forget chips, it looked like it came off in sheets. Ford got hold of defective paint or primer somewhere that's for sure. iirc it was a late 80s model - I want to say 88 - 89ish.

I checked the TSBs (Factory - Technical Service Bulletins) for Tacomas and there are many and they are significant compared to the Frontier with only 1 minor TSB (power mirror related).

I'm leaning toward Nissan as of today but I'm still searching and digging for dirt. ;-)

Ruth CM

Reply to
RPM1

What year model did this paint chipping start? I have a 2000 Tundra and haven't noticed any chipping.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

I wonder if a couple of clear coats would help? Just suggesting/asking.

Reply to
?reality

Pls excuse me for jumping in on your return post. When I lived in a steady place I knew many toy wrenches and body/paint folk. The body/paint guys told me that the first and second years of any new color all ways sucked. I no longer live there and don't know how to reach those guys. As a suggestion/question, would a really good clear coat help? It is not possible to get one at the dealer--They want money too much. Many local body shops are similar. The only viable solution I can see is to go to the local hotrod meetings. Keep in conversation that we love all cars, stand on toy being the most reliable vehicle made. Old school guys don't like that, but the honest and fair ones will acknowledge that.

I hope I've been useful

Reply to
?reality