Paint Color codes for 1980 Toyota pick up

Hello all,

My Dad had a 1980 Toyota Pick-up, (royal blue in color?) 4 wheel drive with a 4 cylinder engine with a manual transmision. I don't remember if it was a

4 speed or a 5 speed but I want to say a 5 speed. I can't remember if it had EFI or a Carb. I do know that we could pull a 24 foot Bayliner up and down the ramp and take it home. I loved the color and was hoping that when I turned 16 (back in 1986) dad would let me have that truck. well no dice, he sold it in 85 and bought a ford 250. I always loved the color of the truck. I'm trying to find the color code for that truck. I have a Jeep CJ7 that I'm rebuilding from the ground up and I want to paint it the same color as dad's old truck. I think the color was called royal blue but I'm not sure. If any one can give me Info about the Paint code I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a Bunch

Floyd

Reply to
Thengul

Huge Snip

Go to a good Auto Parts Store with an Auto Paint Mixing department, I use a local NAPA store. They have books with color chips for all automakers sorted by year going back in some cases to the 1920's, and the book has the colorant "recipe" to make that paint in any brand.

(Take the white base, add 60 grams of Blue, 3 grams of yellow...)

And if you aren't sure, you can spend a little and have them mix a half pint or a pint of that paint for you, along with a pint of the right thinner/reducer you'll need and the matching primer.

Spray it on a suitably prepared large piece of metal - like an old car door or fender with enough surface and curves to let the light play off it from various angles. Spray it, let it set, and see if it's really what you want.

It's better to use an established color rather than go off creating a color from scratch - if for no other reason than if you ever need to repair and repaint one panel after a wreck it's a whole lot easier to remember "1980 Toyota Royal Blue" and simply tell any body shop, than to keep track of the notes with that exact base and colorants recipe.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman