Pilot Bearing Removal???

What's the most effective way to get the pilot bearing out of the rear of the crankshaft? I don't care if I ruin it, I've got a new one to replace it but I don't want to screw up the crank. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Get a machinist to turn a 8" piece of steel to just barely slip fit into a pilot bearing. Get under your vehicle and load up the hole in the old pilot bearing with wheel-bearing grease. Make sure it is completely full of grease except for the outer 1/4 inch or so. Put your steel shaft into the entrance of the pilot bearing and hit the other end of the steel shaft with a hammer. You have just created a hydraulic cylinder and hammering gently will walk the pilot bushing out.

Reply to
Andrew

Typically pilot bearings do not need to be replaced....

However, if you are going to..do this. In the center of the bearing, it should be hollow. Fill this area with grease. Then, get a wood rod that is slightly smaller in diameter of the inner diameter of the pilot bearing. Tap on the wood pole and the hydraulic actoion should pop it right out.

Tom

Reply to
Tom