Pits in Crankshaft Eating Front Oil Seal!?

I really need some expert advice on this one. Any metallurgists out there?

I am about to replace the oil pump on my '88 4Runner V6. Upon inspecting the end of the crankshaft, I noticed these strange pits on the portion of the shaft upon which the seal would ride. Sure enough, I checked the old seal and it appears to have been chewed up pretty good (only has about 20K on it).

These are definitely not corrosion and -- in defense of some of the idiots that I have unfortunately allowed to work on this truck -- I don't think it is from any type of abuse. There are about four or five of them ranging from 1 to 4 mm in width and they appear to be voids from when the thing was cast.

Has anyone seen this? Is there any way I can fill them with lead or something such that my new oil seal doesn't get shredded and start leaking the first time I crank the motor?

Thanks,

Luther

Reply to
Luther

There's a "repair sleeve" to deal with that sort of problem ... cover the wear/damage and make a new surface for the seal to ride on. They cost very little.

Reply to
JeB

oops .... just noticed you have a V6. They have them for the 22R anyway and I'd assume for the V6 too.

Reply to
JeB

Had a sleeve installed on my 22r at around 91,000 miles, cured the problem, but now I have to oil my hood hinges occasionally... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM