popping sound?

I have a 93 4runner, and when ever I turn the steering wheel all the way left or right, I hear a loud popping noise. Anyone know what that could be?

Reply to
anahataray via CarKB.com

Most likely the steering stops are the problem. Read about it here-

OldPhart

Most likely the steering stops are the problem. Read about it here-

OldPhart

I'll wager the trouble is a front axle universal joint. Given the description, it's an outer one. Replace all four if you have IFS, or both of them if you have a solid axle.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I would not suspect the steering stops, but they could be the trouble. It's remote that they are the problem, but if they are then the vehicle would have to have installed oversized tires and the tires are rubbing on the undercarriage. If this is the trouble, then the steering stops can be adjusted so that the tires do not hit the frame when the steering wheel is turned full tilt.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

CarKB.comhttp://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/toyota-truck/200707/1 Check recent recalls. My '94 4runner was popping like that but after the free replacement (Make sure they follow-up with the free alignment which is part of the package) the popping went away entirely.

Good luck.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

How do I find out about the recalls? I bought the car used, does this matter?

rigger wrote:

CarKB.comhttp://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/toyota-truck/200707/1>

Reply to
anahataray via CarKB.com

I cast my vote for steering stops. They are at least very easy to rule out. Look under the car (at the steering stops) and have someone crank the wheel all the way to one side. You can tell if they are hitting and binding by looking at them.

Reply to
qslim

Take the VIN to your local dealership. They can see if there are any outstanding recalls that affect your car.

My money is still riding on the front axle outside U Joints ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I had no problem finding this for your model:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID NUMBER: 05V389000 MFG'S REPORT DATE: September 06, 2005

: P