Power Antenna Mast

Hey folks, The power mast on my 96 4runner is toast, stays up all the time, can hear the electric motor running just fine when it should be lowered. I need a new mast. I looked around on-line and have found a number of places that sell replacements for 50 bucks or so. Last time I did this I remember paying the dealer the same price. Anyone know of a reliable place to get one for less? I'm in SE Michigan.

Dave

Reply to
Zephyr

Be safe just get one from the dealer. You could probably find one on eBay, but the dealer is usually faster, then having to wait.

The first time I replaced my mast, I ended taking out the whole assembly to remove the broken part. The second time around, I just unscrewed the cap removed the mast, and turn on the radio. The broken nylon center will come right out. Next insert the new mast and with help from another person have them turn on and off the radio. You could do it by yourself, there is usually enough time.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

I bought one at Autozone for $20 (1996 Camry) and another from an on-line Toyota dealer for my 2001 4Runner for about $30.

Often you can change the mast without removing the whole antenna. If all of the old plastic linear gear comes out when you pull out the mast then you can just stick the new gear in there and the gear on the motor shaft will grab it (pay attention to the orientation of the old one as it comes out). If there's pieces of gear left in the motor housing then you have to take it apart. Getting to it was kind of a pain on my 4Runner.

It's a very common replacement part for after-market parts stores to carry. Pep Boys had a place for it on their shelf, but they were out of stock.

Reply to
SMS

Reply to
deanthebikeman