Power Mirror Problem

Hi all, I am new to groups but am in desperate need of some help. I have a 2001 Tacoma which I love to death. I recently bought chrome power sideview mirrors to replace the factory black ones. Installation was very easy however oce they were hooked up the right and down power controls stopped working. I contacted the vedor who sold me the mirrors and they are going to replace them. When I removed the chrome mirrors and re-installed the factory black mirrors I had the same problem, they move up and left, but not right or down. Does anyone have any knowledge regarding this? Any troubleshooting help and or tips would be very helpful. Thank all you experts in advance.

Reply to
Jesse

to reply to my own posting, does anyone know if there is a fuse that controls the mirrors power or if it strictly a motor or what? Thanks again.

Reply to
Jesse

Do you hear the servo motors when you try to control the mirrors? If so you might have popped out the link joint to the mirror itself. I've had to replace just the mirrors and not he housing before.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

i hear the motors and like i said they move up and left, just not right or down. last night i ruled out the possibility of it being a fuse or loose connection. my only guess now is that it may be the switch itself. if i order teh switch thru Toyota it's about $120 and if that is not the answer i'm stuck with the switch, no refunds...

Reply to
Jesse

If you move the switch and hear a motor running then it's not the switch. If this isn't the case then before you purchase a new switch see if the switch is repairable. I've taken many switches apart and cleaned contacts with either a steel (not sandpaper type) emery board (for fingernails) or a points file. Sometimes you can spray contact/switch cleaner through a hole in switch housing to clean contacts too. One other option is to try to jump across proper terminals to see if mirror motors work to eliminate switch. Email me if you need schematics or wiring information and I'll look in the service manuals I've got for 97 Camry and 01 Tundra for electric schematics on switch and motor. They should be close enough to get a good working knowledge of wiring. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Do you hear the motors when you move right or down? Did you cut or unplug any connectors during to swap? Sound like a short or a contact not closing the circuit. If you have a voltmeter check the switch first then have someone press the control while you check the mirror end. If you can remove the switch you can check to see if it's the problem.

A fuse would provide power to the entire system. So if the fuse is blown, the up and left would not work.

BTW you did not mention if this problem affected both mirrors.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Thanks a lot David. To clarify, I hear the motor when they move up or right, no sound when I push right or down. I have some QD electrical cleaner, with your advise i will try to clen the switch adn see what, if anything happens. Since I am new to groups, I do not see your e-mail address but love more troubleshooting advise from you. thanks again.

Reply to
Jesse

Thank you Joseph. The problem is effecting both mirrors the same. And we did try to check the switch and wires with what I assume was a voltmeter (a tool which you ground then test the wires with a seperate tool that lights up) and got a reading as if there was no power to the mirrors at all. I may be doing something wrong and any advise would be great. Thanks again

Reply to
Jesse

If you are using Outlook or Outlook Express there are two buttons on the top, one is "Reply Group" which will post an answer to the ng and the other is "Reply" which will send an email to the poster's registered email address. You have to watch as many people will use a fake address or one with characters that have to be removed before it's a valid email address. From what you say and what you posted in the reply to Joseph Wind I'd say you probably have a bad switch. You might find one at a salvage yard, try to find one that at least guarentees agains DOA. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Be advised that the mirror adjusting switch is likely a pair of DPDT-CO (double-pole double-throw, center-off) switches, where there is no power or ground at all on either of the motor leads if the switch is not being pushed.

When you push the UP switch the motor gets +12V on one lead, and ground on the other, to make the motor runs clockwise and the gears make the mirror go up. And when you push the DOWN switch the same up/down motor gets the opposite, the lead that was +12V for up is now ground, and vice versa on the other - the motor runs counter-clockwise and the gears push the mirror down.

Same thing with left and right - same DPDT-CO contacts, just connected to a different motor and set of gears. And the selector for adjusting either the left or right side mirrors with one 'joystick' switch is a 4PDT arrangement sending the power and ground leads to the correct motors on either side.

The switch might be sending the +12V to the motor when you push the button, but if you don't have a ground connection from the motor going back through the switch to a solid chassis ground nothing will move. A little sleuthing with a test light or voltmeter will pinpoint the trouble spot.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thanks a lot Bruce, very helpful. I just found a 2003 Camry switch which looks exaclty the same as the one in my Tacoma, I'm going to try that and will let you all know what happens. Once again I thank you all for your help with this. It's very frustrating when you have a problem and the only people that will help you want to charge you a million dollars. You guys are awesome!

Reply to
Jesse

Looking at a 2001 Highlander remote control mirror wiring diagram, there should be positive voltage at terminal 6 (red wire with a black stripe) when the switch is at the down or right position. If you have the switch out, there should be continuity between terminal 8 (gray wire) and terminal 6.

If the motors run in one direction but not the other, the problem points to the switch. I can send you the Highlander wiring diagram is you want.

Paul.

Jesse wrote:

Reply to
paul.blomberg

I bought a replacement switch for a 2003 Camry on e-bay for $11.00 shipped, compared to Toyota price of $130.00. The switch worked great and my mirrors are back in action! Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Reply to
Jesse