power problems on a "91" 22 RE

Hello, I just changed the timing chain and gears on a 22 re as the head gasket was blown and when I went in to change it I found the timing chain dampeners were broke and the tensioner was worn. My problem now is... the idle is very low if it stays running at all and when I drive it, it has no power like it did before. QUESTION:

1) If the wire connections going to the injectors were not to the right injectors would the engine still run and sound good? 2) Can I adjust the idle speed? From reading in the manual it says it is preset and cannot be adjusted. 3)There is 2 vaccum hoses that go to a fitting on the front intake and I broke one of the connections off. I plugged the hose temporarily till I get a new fitting. could that be part of the trouble? The fitting almost looks like a sensor of some kind, I took it off and the end looks just like a plug. Does anyone know what it's purpose is? Thank you in advance for any help I can receive! This is the first time I've ever worked on a toyota and I haven't ever worked on anything with EFI Thank you, Old school
Reply to
~ tu§k ~~ tµnðrå ~~

One other note, it has cruise control and no A/C.

Reply to
~ tu§k ~~ tµnðrå ~~

Did you set the timing properly? 5 deg. BTDC with the timing check connector jumpered and assuming that the timing jumped/changed when you installed the jumper, if not, your Throttle Position Sensor may be out of adjustment.

Yes, use the air bypass screw on top of the throttle body, large screw head.

Front intake? Is this on the air crossover tube or on the intake plenum (cast air chamber that the throttle body is connected to, or something else)?

Reply to
Roger Brown

Roger, Thank you for your response. No I didn't use the timing check connector so I'll do that. The vaccum fitting I was talking about is actually on the intake manifold towards the front after looking at it again. Also I am assuming I have the connector wires to the injectors back the way I took them off but I forgot to mark them when I did. THe adjusting screw your talking about, is it in front and to the left of the air intake from the breather is? I just turn it one way or another to set my idle? Thank you for your help, Doug

Reply to
Vøð Dug

Always a good idea to mark and label as many parts as you can prior to removing. The Factory Service Manual is a good help in finding where things need to go back to:

Should be the only screw on top of the TB, at the top-center of the photo below:

Roger Brown